Author Topic: Bug after changing a folder name in the finder  (Read 1602 times)

Offline sdwheeler

• Newcomer
  • Photo Mechanic daily user since 2001
    • View Profile
    • Simon Wheeler Photography
Bug after changing a folder name in the finder
« on: July 16, 2019, 10:42:41 AM »
On a Mac, Mojave, PM6  build 3331. I believe this bug has existed for years.

If you rename a folder in the finder while it is open in PM the folder behaves oddly in PM with images going grey if you try to click on them to view them in one up and some but not all of the other images in the contact sheet go grey. If you leave the PM window open and drag the renamed folder onto the open window it doesn't update. Cmd / doesn't work either. To get the folder to display properly you have to make a new window or tab. I recognize that this is probably as much to do with the OS as with PM, but it would seem that there could be a more graceful outcome. Thanks. Great product.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Bug after changing a folder name in the finder
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 03:04:31 PM »
I recognize that this is probably as much to do with the OS as with PM, but it would seem that there could be a more graceful outcome.

Right. I'm not a developer, but I don't believe the OS is going to report back to Photo Mechanic that the name of the folder has changed. I haven't tried this in anything other than Lightroom, but LR behaves pretty much the same way: it puts an exclamation point on your images to tell you that the source files are missing. I suppose PM could give you a warning message that the folder may no longer exist, but that might even be more alarming. The fact that some files still have a thumbnail or show in the preview window is because that is the information that was cached before the files disappeared (in the eyes of the program). It's never really a good idea to make changes to a folder or a file while another application is using it. I imagine the safer option here is to just reveal the folder in Photo Mechanic's navigator and rename it there.

Offline sdwheeler

• Newcomer
  • Photo Mechanic daily user since 2001
    • View Profile
    • Simon Wheeler Photography
Re: Bug after changing a folder name in the finder
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 04:46:38 PM »
That makes sense. Thanks
Simon