Author Topic: Increase and decrease rating  (Read 3022 times)

Offline dd-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Increase and decrease rating
« on: July 21, 2019, 10:14:48 AM »
It'd be handy to increase and decrease star ratings with a keystroke.  I tend to set ratings in multiple passes, the first pass eliminating blatant technical and artistic failures and leaving everything set to '2'.  Later passes then compare similar things and adjust ratings.  And I find that having to look for the current rating, do the arithmetic (yes, yes, just adding or subtracting 1) in my head, and then pressing the proper digit key is slow.  I know very fast, mostly, whether I want to increase, decrease, or leave alone, so typable shortcuts to do that would speed things a lot for this particular usage pattern.  (Also these new shortcuts should also be configurable to advance to the next picture when they're used.)

Offline toddowyoung

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Key Command for Increase/Decrease Rating
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 12:40:17 PM »
I'd love to see the addition of a key command/binding for increasing/decreasing star ratings. Other applications such as Lightroom include this feature. Currently, ratings have to be increased by pressing the corresponding key number (when that accessibility feature is enabled).

The use case for this would be when using a macro pad or other input controller (such as TourBox Neo) where dedicated buttons for star ratings 1-5 are not available. One could also bind a scroll wheel or a button on a mouse to perform a rating adjustment. Another use case would be for using the up or down arrow keys to increase/decrease ratings from their current state. While using the left/right arrow keys, this would group editing/rating images to more focused input area, aiding ergonomics/accessibility.

Current controllers like TourBox can have specific key customizations or even do macro commands for complex entries. But without the ability to have a specific command to increase or decrease ratings, it's not possible to create these solutions.

The ability to increase/decrease ratings would have the following benefits:
  • Increase speed of input for ratings
  • Simplify input for ratings
  • Increase flexibility (using macro pads/controllers)
  • Reduce errors (eliminates accidentally rating images a 2 when the current culling edit is moving from 2 to 3 stars)

For my editing method in particular, I will go through and in progressive rounds, starting with positive selects for 1 star. Next, I'll filter to view only those 1-star images and then progressively more selectively 2-stars, and so on. For this workflow, the ability to access specific key commands to increase/decrease star ratings relatively (rather than absolutely to a specific rating) would be extremely useful!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Key Command for Increase/Decrease Rating
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 06:46:49 PM »
Todd,

I'd love to see the addition of a key command/binding for increasing/decreasing star ratings. Other applications such as Lightroom include this feature. Currently, ratings have to be increased by pressing the corresponding key number (when that accessibility feature is enabled).

The use case for this would be when using a macro pad or other input controller (such as TourBox Neo) where dedicated buttons for star ratings 1-5 are not available. One could also bind a scroll wheel or a button on a mouse to perform a rating adjustment. Another use case would be for using the up or down arrow keys to increase/decrease ratings from their current state. While using the left/right arrow keys, this would group editing/rating images to more focused input area, aiding ergonomics/accessibility.

Current controllers like TourBox can have specific key customizations or even do macro commands for complex entries. But without the ability to have a specific command to increase or decrease ratings, it's not possible to create these solutions.

The ability to increase/decrease ratings would have the following benefits:
  • Increase speed of input for ratings
  • Simplify input for ratings
  • Increase flexibility (using macro pads/controllers)
  • Reduce errors (eliminates accidentally rating images a 2 when the current culling edit is moving from 2 to 3 stars)

For my editing method in particular, I will go through and in progressive rounds, starting with positive selects for 1 star. Next, I'll filter to view only those 1-star images and then progressively more selectively 2-stars, and so on. For this workflow, the ability to access specific key commands to increase/decrease star ratings relatively (rather than absolutely to a specific rating) would be extremely useful!

Just FYI, each time a rating is set (whether or not this feature of incrementing/decrementing is added), the metadata in the file (or XMP sidecar) is updated.  There is a limit to how fast this can be done due to the latency of updating files on disk/network.  Having a series of events come through to change the rating from zero to five in five separate steps may not be of high performance.

-Kirk

Offline toddowyoung

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Increase and decrease rating
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 07:41:56 AM »
Hey Kirk,

Thank you for the explanation and rationale. Speaking for my own workflow, I would almost always be changing by rating by only one increment at at a time, going up or down by one star at any given pass. So understanding the performance issues possible, in my use case it would still be a single input in most cases.

Also personally willing to accept a performance hit for the option of choosing rating methods.

Thanks again for the reply!

Todd