Author Topic: Feature request: Custom metadata fields  (Read 4191 times)

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
Feature request: Custom metadata fields
« on: July 24, 2019, 08:04:46 AM »
We may add the ability for users to define custom fields for the purposes of managing images in the catalog, making them optionally capable of being represented in XMP intended for images.

I'd like to formally make this feature request again, now for PM+.

Some folks have expressed skepticism about custom fields because they might not be readable by other software. But I have a current scanning project for which I'm using Media Pro's custom fields to document the original camera and film information. My client can read these fields as "User Fields." I would not be able to complete this project using the current version of PM or PM+ (without monkeying with an EXIF editor or using an IPTC field not intended for the information).
-- Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Feature request: Custom metadata fields
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 08:24:10 AM »
Mark,

We may add the ability for users to define custom fields for the purposes of managing images in the catalog, making them optionally capable of being represented in XMP intended for images.

I'd like to formally make this feature request again, now for PM+.

Some folks have expressed skepticism about custom fields because they might not be readable by other software. But I have a current scanning project for which I'm using Media Pro's custom fields to document the original camera and film information. My client can read these fields as "User Fields." I would not be able to complete this project using the current version of PM or PM+ (without monkeying with an EXIF editor or using an IPTC field not intended for the information).

How are the custom User Fields stored in the metadata?  Are they XMP?  IPTC-binary?

-Kirk

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 10:35:29 AM »
Kirk,

Here's the answer from Phase One: "Custom fields are written to XMP." They add, "For a group of photos which have already used custom fields, you could switch the data over to the "standard" IPTC fields via (an Apple) script if you (choose)."

Maybe Peter Krogh's discussion of "XMP-based schemas" on dbBestflow.com can explain how Media Pro uses XMP generally, and presumably also for custom fields.
-- Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 04:21:12 PM »
Mark,

Here's the answer from Phase One: "Custom fields are written to XMP." They add, "For a group of photos which have already used custom fields, you could switch the data over to the "standard" IPTC fields via (an Apple) script if you (choose)."

Maybe Peter Krogh's discussion of "XMP-based schemas" on dbBestflow.com can explain how Media Pro uses XMP generally, and presumably also for custom fields.

Could you post a sample XMP file that has some user custom fields in it?  Then I can see what namespace they use.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 08:52:48 PM »
Could you post a sample XMP file that has some user custom fields in it?  Then I can see what namespace they use.

I sent you a DropBox link via PM.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 09:20:31 PM by syncrasy »
-- Mark