Author Topic: Previews for Fujifilm raw (RAF) files  (Read 2839 times)

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
Previews for Fujifilm raw (RAF) files
« on: August 02, 2019, 07:26:38 AM »
Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 3331

When shooting raw on a Fujifilm camera Photo Mechanic can only show 1920x1280 previews. The camera is shooting 6000x4000 and I can't check for sharpness etc at 100%. All is fine when shooting raw + jpeg. I know from http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=10995.msg53737#msg53737 why this happens. There's a solution given to use the "Q" menu so PM renders the preview from the raw file. I can't work out how to do that. Can I, if so, how's it done?

Thanks!

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
Re: Previews for Fujifilm raw (RAF) files
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 07:33:22 AM »
Oh hang on, have I been here before? I tried raw rendering before but gave up as it made my Mac run for its life and did nothing for my NEF files. http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=12096.msg59231#msg59231

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 08:05:25 AM »
PM6 no longer uses Apple ImageIO to perform the rendering. Instead they now make use of Adobe's DNG Converter a.o. this enables the same solution to also work on Windows.

You enable this feature in the Preferences.

Beware: unless the previews have already been generated this way, it will take noticeable time to generate them!
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 08:29:49 AM »
PM6 no longer uses Apple ImageIO to perform the rendering. Instead they now make use of Adobe's DNG Converter a.o. this enables the same solution to also work on Windows.

Thanks, I think I thought that. I have it set in Preferences, I have a picture I want to render but now I can't work out how to do that. Any further clues welcome while I RTFM!

Thanks!

Edit: There's no manual any more? At least not an up to date one.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 08:44:34 AM »
If you've configured that option and you have installed Adobe's DNG Converter in the location you told PM it was, this should be automatically done. Be sure you have the latest DNG Converter since that may be required for supporting your camera properly.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 09:35:55 AM »
I'm sure it did work for a minute earlier in the afternoon. Anyway, I've updated from 11.2 to 11.3, made sure PM knows the location, quit and relaunched and it seems to work again!

Thanks for the useful pointers.