Author Topic: Best practices on Deleting/Adding Photos  (Read 4248 times)

Offline ericbowles

• Newcomer
  • Professional Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Bowles Images
Best practices on Deleting/Adding Photos
« on: August 04, 2019, 06:28:24 AM »
What is the best way to delete a photo that is in the catalog?  I selected a handful of images, right clicked and deleted the photos as I have in the past.  Do I need to do anything to maintain the catalog?

When I add a new folder of images to Photo Mechanic using the Import command and settings, do I need to do anything else to make thos images part of the catalog?  Are they automatically added?
Eric Bowles

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Best practices on Deleting/Adding Photos
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 09:40:59 AM »
Eric,

What is the best way to delete a photo that is in the catalog?  I selected a handful of images, right clicked and deleted the photos as I have in the past.  Do I need to do anything to maintain the catalog?

Deleting from within PMPlus should be all it takes.  If it doesn't also update the Catalog, then that's a bug that needs to be fixed.

When I add a new folder of images to Photo Mechanic using the Import command and settings, do I need to do anything else to make those images part of the catalog?  Are they automatically added?

I'm not sure what you mean by "Import command and settings"?  Do you mean Ingest?  Scan to Catalog?

-Kirk

Offline ericbowles

• Newcomer
  • Professional Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Bowles Images
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 01:45:57 PM »
When I delete an image using PM+, I have a placeholder from that image tht looks like a file.  When I close and reopen the folder, the placeholder is gone. 

When I Ingest new images using PM, are the images automatically included in the catalog or do I need to do anything else?
Eric Bowles

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 02:47:36 PM »
Eric,

When I delete an image using PM+, I have a placeholder from that image tht looks like a file.  When I close and reopen the folder, the placeholder is gone. 

Are you deleting from a folder-based Contact Sheet or from a Catalog (Search/Browse/Filter/Collection) Contact Sheet?

When I Ingest new images using PM, are the images automatically included in the catalog or do I need to do anything else?

If you set the "Auto Catalog" checkbox, then your images will be added as they're ingested to the catalog(s) that are currently set to Add/Modify.

I think it's better to do all of your culling first (after Ingesting) and then select the remaining images and then add them to your catalog(s).  But it's up to you to decide how you want to work.

-Kirk

Offline BillB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 05:27:22 AM »

I note this issue as well. Deleting an image in a folder-based Contact Sheet replaces the image in the sheet with a generic thumb. And that thumb can only be disposed of by closing and reopening the Contact Sheet.

...Bill
...Bill

Dell G5 15 Laptop, Win 10 with 16Gb, Intel UHD Graphics 630 and NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 8Gb, LG HDR 4K extended display, PM6+, all caching on SSD.