Author Topic: Help: Raw Rendering process  (Read 2604 times)

Offline BillB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Help: Raw Rendering process
« on: August 06, 2019, 09:03:54 AM »
I have recently enabled Raw Rendering. From Process Explorer I can see both PM6 and Adobe DNG Converter are working like mad- over hours and hours on a single Contact Sheet. What I don't see are any updates in the Contact Sheet indicating that rendering is completing for individual images (i.e., the filename changing from red). Refreshing does nothing.

I'm troubleshooting an issue with the crop preview in the Preview Window that I am now convinced has to do with having enabled Raw Rendering. But it's challenging because of the extent to which PM6/Adobe DNG are consuming the machine with no seeming progress.

My question is this- what exactly is going on when I flip the switch to enable Raw Rendering? I thought it was simply generating a rendered preview of the raw image and tucking it away in the Raw Rendering Cache. Is there more to it than that? How does an existing crop on the raw file play into this (I know- the answer to that should be obvious  ;D)? It does appear that the Contact Sheet thumbnail is regenerated as well (as I would expect)- right? The current folder-based Contact Sheet that I'm working with has 75 images in it. The same seemingly-incomplete images have remained for hours.

Thanks for any clarification.

...Bill

Win 10 with 16Gb, NVIDIA 1050 Ti 4Gb with Dual Displays (1920 & 3840), PM6+, all caching on SSD
...Bill

Dell G5 15 Laptop, Win 10 with 16Gb, Intel UHD Graphics 630 and NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 8Gb, LG HDR 4K extended display, PM6+, all caching on SSD.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Help: Raw Rendering process
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 11:30:33 AM »
I have recently enabled Raw Rendering. From Process Explorer I can see both PM6 and Adobe DNG Converter are working like mad- over hours and hours on a single Contact Sheet. What I don't see are any updates in the Contact Sheet indicating that rendering is completing for individual images (i.e., the filename changing from red). Refreshing does nothing.

I'm troubleshooting an issue with the crop preview in the Preview Window that I am now convinced has to do with having enabled Raw Rendering. But it's challenging because of the extent to which PM6/Adobe DNG are consuming the machine with no seeming progress.

My question is this- what exactly is going on when I flip the switch to enable Raw Rendering? I thought it was simply generating a rendered preview of the raw image and tucking it away in the Raw Rendering Cache. Is there more to it than that? How does an existing crop on the raw file play into this (I know- the answer to that should be obvious  ;D)? It does appear that the Contact Sheet thumbnail is regenerated as well (as I would expect)- right? The current folder-based Contact Sheet that I'm working with has 75 images in it. The same seemingly-incomplete images have remained for hours.

That is what it in effect does.  Sounds like something has gone wrong.  For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2800 option 2

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

Offline BillB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 12:33:36 PM »
For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks

Thanks Kirk. I'll do that.

I'm seeing the individual images eventually "completing", but it's taking an eternity. When I convert to DNG, I run this whole folder through Adobe DNG in nothing flat. It's been running since early morning here on this same folder. Something's definitely not right here.

...Bill
...Bill

Dell G5 15 Laptop, Win 10 with 16Gb, Intel UHD Graphics 630 and NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 8Gb, LG HDR 4K extended display, PM6+, all caching on SSD.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 01:08:13 PM »
Bill,

For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks

Thanks Kirk. I'll do that.

I'm seeing the individual images eventually "completing", but it's taking an eternity. When I convert to DNG, I run this whole folder through Adobe DNG in nothing flat. It's been running since early morning here on this same folder. Something's definitely not right here.

Because we can't direct the converter to operate on a list of files (your contact sheet could have multiple folders in it) we have to have it convert a single file at a time.  It has to launch (takes a couple seconds), process the image (takes more seconds), and then quit.  Then we have it move on to the next image.  It is indeed quite slow and isn't a permanent solution.

-Kirk

Offline BillB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 02:11:11 PM »
Because we can't direct the converter to operate on a list of files (your contact sheet could have multiple folders in it) we have to have it convert a single file at a time.  It has to launch (takes a couple seconds), process the image (takes more seconds), and then quit.  Then we have it move on to the next image.  It is indeed quite slow and isn't a permanent solution.

Totally understand. This has been an educational exercise, but the Raw Rendering won't be an option under these circumstances. I'll be hopeful for a future solution for seeing a rendered image in the Preview window.

But for a perspective- it's been working on the last five images in this folder for the last few hours. Down to the last one now, but still not done.

When I run Adobe DNG to convert my image files, I specify to create full-size previews. Would be nice if PM could simply grab that (when it exists) in lieu of generating. Doesn't help when it's not there nor for other raw formats, but...

Thanks again,
...Bill
...Bill

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 02:15:17 PM »
Bill,

Totally understand. This has been an educational exercise, but the Raw Rendering won't be an option under these circumstances. I'll be hopeful for a future solution for seeing a rendered image in the Preview window.

But for a perspective- it's been working on the last five images in this folder for the last few hours. Down to the last one now, but still not done.

When I run Adobe DNG to convert my image files, I specify to create full-size previews. Would be nice if PM could simply grab that (when it exists) in lieu of generating. Doesn't help when it's not there nor for other raw formats, but...

Thanks again,
...Bill

If you're already converting to DNG, PM is going to read the preview from the DNG.
If you're converting to DNG and you don't mind that the preview doesn't have the latest adjustments that you've made, please turn off RAW rendering.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 02:34:06 PM »
If you're already converting to DNG, PM is going to read the preview from the DNG.
If you're converting to DNG and you don't mind that the preview doesn't have the latest adjustments that you've made, please turn off RAW rendering.
Assuming DNGs. If you’re using Adobe Camera Raw, just set your preferences so it updates the preview automatically, with LR you can manually have it update the preview. This way you still see all your edits. It’s my preferred way of operating; no need to turn on the slow raw rendering (though I’m still baffled by how long it takes at your end).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 05:56:56 PM »
I have the same problem on my Mac (iOP 10.14.6). If I have raw rendering turned on, and PM 6 open (plus or regular), the Adobe ing icon keeps popping up then closing then popping up in the Dock until I shut down PM. If I'm running the MacBook Pro on battery, it drains the battery noticeably faster.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 06:42:58 PM »
Mick,

I have the same problem on my Mac (iOP 10.14.6). If I have raw rendering turned on, and PM 6 open (plus or regular), the Adobe ing icon keeps popping up then closing then popping up in the Dock until I shut down PM. If I'm running the MacBook Pro on battery, it drains the battery noticeably faster.

Yes, work uses power.  If you wish to use the RAW rendering feature, we recommend using it when connected to a charger and choosing to keep the Adobe DNG Converter in your dock (it will stop appearing to add and remove itself from your dock.)

-Kirk

Offline BillB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 04:34:09 AM »

This comment actually made everything click for me. I've been a little dense. So when the image is converted to DNG, I'm having a full-size preview embedded, and PM reads it. But FUTURE adjustments will not be reflected. And that's why I'm seeing differences in the preview and my current edit state.

Assuming DNGs. If you’re using Adobe Camera Raw, just set your preferences so it updates the preview automatically

And this solves the problem without needing Raw Rendering. I do use ACR for all raw editing - no Lightroom. I have not had this set- didn't even know about it. Many thanks.

...Bill
...Bill