Author Topic: converting color tags to Lightroom  (Read 2147 times)

Offline sfreund

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
converting color tags to Lightroom
« on: August 06, 2019, 06:55:34 PM »
Hi

I'm new to Photo Mechanic. I want to bring my Selects into Lightroom for processing and I'd like to retain my color tags.

I tried to do this but all the colors changed and confused me. How do I get PM's green color to remain green in Lightroom? There must be a way to do this but I can't figure it out. If anyone knows, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks!

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: converting color tags to Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 10:03:13 PM »
Hi

I'm new to Photo Mechanic. I want to bring my Selects into Lightroom for processing and I'd like to retain my color tags.

I tried to do this but all the colors changed and confused me. How do I get PM's green color to remain green in Lightroom? There must be a way to do this but I can't figure it out. If anyone knows, I'd be most grateful.

Make sure that PM and Lr are both using the same color label names and the same colors for each label.  If you use the standard Lr labels, then you can use the "Adobe" setting in PM.  In the General section of PM's preferences, near the color labels, click on the lightning bolt button and choose the Adobe setting.

-Kirk

Offline sfreund

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 02:42:49 AM »

Make sure that PM and Lr are both using the same color label names and the same colors for each label.  If you use the standard Lr labels, then you can use the "Adobe" setting in PM.  In the General section of PM's preferences, near the color labels, click on the lightning bolt button and choose the Adobe setting.

-Kirk

So, if I understand you correctly, let's say I want to keep my PM Green color tag the same in LR. In PM, Green is no. 5. Does this mean I need to change the no. 5 color in LR (which is purple) to Green in settings? Otherwise, all the PM Greens will turn into Purple in LR... which is definitely not what I want!

If so, what do I do about PM colors that LR does not have? Like Orange? All my color-tagged Selects for this job were made in PM before I  considered bringing them into LR. And I have Pinks and Oranges that don't exist in LR. I can make one of those Red in LR, but that still leaves me short of a color. I wish LR had more colors!

Anyway, I could use further help on this issue. Thanks in advance!

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 03:24:32 AM »
In LR you can only have colours shown for the five labels you can assign. All other labels are shown "white" (so in a way you actually have six colours). And yes, it is best if you make the colours themselves match as well. This might require you to make changes to the colours in PM and the labels in Lightroom.

Does this clarify things?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline sfreund

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 05:28:34 PM »
yes, thanks! I'll have to go by trial and error.