Author Topic: how to transfer tags to 2nd hard drive  (Read 2541 times)

Offline sfreund

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
how to transfer tags to 2nd hard drive
« on: August 06, 2019, 07:00:20 PM »
Hi

I'm new to Photo Mechanic and wondering if the following is possible: I'd like to save my color selects (tags) to the images saved on my 2nd (backup) hard drive.

To elaborate: when I ingested the images, I did so to 2 hard drives, the 2nd one being a backup. Then I culled the images and tagged my selects so my favorites are all color-classified. Now that that's done, I'd like to save those tags to the images on the backup drive. Is this possible at all? If so, how?

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: how to transfer tags to 2nd hard drive
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 10:01:04 PM »
I'm new to Photo Mechanic and wondering if the following is possible: I'd like to save my color selects (tags) to the images saved on my 2nd (backup) hard drive.

To elaborate: when I ingested the images, I did so to 2 hard drives, the 2nd one being a backup. Then I culled the images and tagged my selects so my favorites are all color-classified. Now that that's done, I'd like to save those tags to the images on the backup drive. Is this possible at all? If so, how?

Not directly with Photo Mechanic other than by copying the files to the other drive, replacing the current files.  Or you could use an 'rsync' application.  I recommend Grsync which is available for multiple OS platforms.  http://www.opbyte.it/grsync/  It will keep your second drive in sync with your first drive.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 05:24:38 AM »
Hi,
I generally use a program called MuCommander and I copy the folders/files to another backup drive using the option "Overwrite if older". It works really fine.
Regards,
- Luiz Muzzi

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 01:19:36 PM »
If the filenames are the same in both places, I believe you could also select all the files with color classes, use the Text Exporter to create a text file that had Tab separated filenames and color ratings, then load that into PM as a Code Replacement file, and then when viewing the backup files in PM, apply a Metadata template where you would select "Evaluate" where Color Class is and put  "={filename}="   (without quotes) into the new field.

I confess I am just winging this out without testing it but I think it should work right?   
Mick O
Camera Bits