Author Topic: Using PM with the new Lightroom CC  (Read 2553 times)

Offline mq

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Using PM with the new Lightroom CC
« on: August 09, 2019, 05:10:23 AM »
Hey there,

I’m new to photomechanic and I’m having a workflow issue with it and the new Lightroom CC (not classic). It doesn’t seem that I can drag into the import process like you could in the past. What I’ve been doing is starting photos in PM and then using the windows explorer to view the rating (right click the column headers and select rating) and then sorting my images by rating. The issue is that only the jpg files have the marked rating and I don’t want to import those images, just the raws. The raws do not have the rating embedded even when I select use embedded meta data vs a sidecar file.

Anyone have a good workflow with the new Lightroom CC ?

Matt

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Using PM with the new Lightroom CC
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 12:59:28 PM »
First off, this is my least favorite part about the new Lightroom. I would encourage anyone who wants to use it to request 'drag and drop adding' from the Adobe overlords.  I actually have grown to like the interface of CC but this importing nonsense is annoying.

Now, what I have been doing is something along the lines of.

• Ingest card to my "Incoming" folder (Usually just Raw files, since PM is going to use the embedded JPG anyway)
  • Rate all images 1-5 stars during my cull -- What I want to bring into LRCC is usually 4 or 5 star.
  • Shift-click 4 then 5 in the Ratings widget to show only the 4-5 star images
  • Ctrl-a to select all
  • Ctrl-y to open Copy/Move. I have been using "move" so that those images disappear from "Incoming"

I've created a "LR Shuttle" folder for LRCC imports.   Whenever I open the LRCC Import it defaults to my LR Shuttle folder. And from there I import the images I'd just moved. From there they are now in the CC world.

I use my Incoming folder as my staging area. Anything in that folder still needs to be culled/rated. When I am going to post-process images they usually are Moved (by LR) into the the Lightroom catalog so they disappear from Incoming. With a LRCC workflow, it just means I need to do the "Move" manually as I describe above. The issue is that the "LR Shuttle" folder fills up with images and I need to manually delete periodically.  This is still a new workflow for me so I may think of ways to make it better :-)

(keyboard shortcuts above are PC only. Mac options also exist)

-Mick
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 04:33:39 PM by MickO »
Mick O
Camera Bits