Photo Mechanic > Code Replacements

Code Replacements Copyright symbol issue

(1/6) > >>

KenGMac:
Hello Kirk

For a few years now, I've had this issue with the Copyright symbol in my captions.
When I open the IPTC Stationery Pad, I write the © symbol in all my RAW files and all appears fine.
Sometimes I manage to send these processed jpeg files via FTP without a problem.
Later when I get home and go through my saved jpegs, I see that the © has changed to ¬©.
I am processing my Canon EOS-1DX files in Photoshop CC 2019.
Any idea as to how I can prevent this please?
I should add that I copy and paste the © symbol in either BBEdit, or TextEdit, and suffer the problem with either.

Best wishes
Ken Macpherson

Photo Mechanic 5.0, build 19711 (d006a74)
MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)
1.7 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

Kirk Baker:
Ken,

--- Quote from: KenGMac on August 08, 2019, 09:22:59 AM ---For a few years now, I've had this issue with the Copyright symbol in my captions.
When I open the IPTC Stationery Pad, I write the © symbol in all my RAW files and all appears fine.
Sometimes I manage to send these processed jpeg files via FTP without a problem.
Later when I get home and go through my saved jpegs, I see that the © has changed to ¬©.
I am processing my Canon EOS-1DX files in Photoshop CC 2019.
Any idea as to how I can prevent this please?
I should add that I copy and paste the © symbol in either BBEdit, or TextEdit, and suffer the problem with either.

--- End quote ---

The editor is not all that important, but the text file's character encoding must be UTF-8 if you're going to use special characters like the copyright symbol.

BBEdit can definitely save text files encoded in UTF-8.  Just open up your Code Replacement text file (check all of your special characters to make sure they look OK) and then go to Markup->Character Set->Unicode (UTF-8).  Save the file.  It should now work fine.

HTH,

-Kirk

KenGMac:
Hi Kirk

Thanks for your suggestion, but....
I tried exactly as you suggested with 2 raw files and all looked fine.
That was until I copied my selected (newly saved) files into a new folder, and hey presto, the dreaded © appears again.
It looks like just copying files containing the © symbol always produces this effect.
The only way I can see to sort this issue in these copied jpegs is to go into each image IPTC info file and manually backspace from the symbol, one at a time, as they all have different captions.

Best wishes
Ken

Hayo Baan:
That's weird. Can you post the exact steps you performed to reproduce this issue. Also your code replacement file as well as the before and after image(s) would be helpful to be able to identify what is going on.

KenGMac:
Hello Hayo

Thanks for looking into this problem I have.
The exact steps I took on a job today were as follows:

In addition to adding my Description/Caption details in the IPTC Stationery Pad,
I updated my © Ken Macpherson Photographers
entry in both Keywords, and Copyright fields.
This came from me typing `c44` from Code replacement file ICTFC 19-20.
All looked good so far. I then Batch captioned the same information on all raw files.
I then opened the selected raw files into Photoshop CC 2019 (newest version) and edited them, and saved as jpegs.
All went well., but as per usual, the two © Ken Macpherson Photographers entries had changed to ¬© Ken Macpherson Photographers.
This is most frustrating!
My  © symbol in my file replacement code was from a BBEdit UTF-8 file.

If there's anything else you need, please do let me know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version