Author Topic: V 6 Build 3331: Protected Files no more Ingested first  (Read 2430 times)

Offline heikkipekka

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
V 6 Build 3331: Protected Files no more Ingested first
« on: August 08, 2019, 11:32:37 PM »
With Photo Mechanic Version 6 Build 3331 it looks like Protected Files (in-camera key icon with Nikon D750) no more get Ingested first. That's a real workflow slowdown as I can't get the rate and review the most important photos first.

Actually, with the new "From Selection" hasn't Ingested those Protected Files first ever with any of the Version 6 Builds.

These should get fixed as soon as possible as getting the in-camera marked photos Ingested first really speeds up the post-production workflow.

Thanks for listening!

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: V 6 Build 3331: Protected Files no more Ingested first
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 10:17:18 AM »
  I tested this workflow with Photo Mechanic 6 - 3331 on my X.14.6 Mini going to a folder on the local HD.  The standard Ingest will copy all of the locked files first followed by the unlocked files. The locked files will be Tagged in the destination folder.   The Ingest selection does not copy any locked files first but the locked files will be Tagged in the destination folder.  If you want to use the Ingest selection and copy the locked files first, then selecting the Tagged files should be the first step and then use Ingest selection. The Command-t shortcut will select the Tagged files and then Command-g will open Ingest.  To Ingest the non locked files, select the Tagged and then select the Others with Command-Shift-o for an Ingest selection or use the standard Ingest with the Filter Files set to Copy Unlocked Photos Only.  Please let me know what OS you are running and the location of the destination folder, if you are still having problems.

regards,

--Bob

Offline heikkipekka

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 04:43:08 AM »
You are right. But, that's a multiple-step process that could be just one as with standard Ingest.

When I do use Ingest Selection, it's because I'm having multiple shoots in one card, so needing to stop in every one to have to different selections and Ingest commands for for Tagged and Untagged sums up soon: like 10 different Ingest compared to 5. And, you can't just have Select Others as I'm having several different shoots that would now become selected – so that's not really as straight forward as you can make it sound.

Is there a valid reason for NOT have Ingest Selection copy protected files as does standard Ingest?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 08:03:13 AM »
You are right. But, that's a multiple-step process that could be just one as with standard Ingest.

When I do use Ingest Selection, it's because I'm having multiple shoots in one card, so needing to stop in every one to have to different selections and Ingest commands for for Tagged and Untagged sums up soon: like 10 different Ingest compared to 5. And, you can't just have Select Others as I'm having several different shoots that would now become selected – so that's not really as straight forward as you can make it sound.

Is there a valid reason for NOT have Ingest Selection copy protected files as does standard Ingest?

We'll have to think on this some more.  I can't give you a definitive answer right now.

This may help: you can change the sort order to Arrangement, select your Tagged images, move them to the front then select your images and start the Ingest from Selection.

-Kirk

Offline heikkipekka

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 11:42:12 PM »

We'll have to think on this some more.  I can't give you a definitive answer right now.

This may help: you can change the sort order to Arrangement, select your Tagged images, move them to the front then select your images and start the Ingest from Selection.

Thanks. I find it confusing that there's different behavior for Protected Files in standard Ingest and Ingest Selection as I can't understand the reasoning. I find Protected Files always are more important to ingest the Unprotected: to be able to review, rate, label and add individual metadata while ingest is still going for the rest of the files.

Thanks for the suggestion getting Protected Files ingested first also in Ingest Selection, though would still need double Ingest Selection commands for each shoot: first for Tagged Files for each shoot, then for Untagged for each shoot. And, after ingesting all the Tagged files for each shoot, it's actually really inconvenient and slow to set the exact same settings again for each shoot for Untagged files (giving the exact same folder name and metadata preset for each ingest as with Tagged Files, ingest-by-ingest).

Looking forward for the Ingest Selection command getting Protected Files first (as with standard Ingest). Hope it happens, and soon!