Author Topic: Digital constipation  (Read 4176 times)

Offline Nhojdrib

• Newcomer
  • Photographing since 1957
    • View Profile
    • ANISTR all about trains
Digital constipation
« on: August 09, 2019, 06:15:25 AM »
Hi
I am a great fan of PM and have used it for years. However I have recently consolidated 2500 rigs into a single folder for ease of viewing and comparison. I now find that PM becomes completely stuck. I cannot scroll or select an image and almost immediately the Not Responging message appears. I then have no option but to close the program. Are there any settings I can change to overcome this. I am working on a PC using W10 with 8Gb RAM installed and a 1Tb hard drive which is about 60% empty. Thanks for any help😊

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Digital constipation
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 07:28:55 AM »
Hi
I am a great fan of PM and have used it for years. However I have recently consolidated 2500 rigs into a single folder for ease of viewing and comparison. I now find that PM becomes completely stuck. I cannot scroll or select an image and almost immediately the Not Responging message appears. I then have no option but to close the program. Are there any settings I can change to overcome this. I am working on a PC using W10 with 8Gb RAM installed and a 1Tb hard drive which is about 60% empty. Thanks for any help😊

What are "rigs"?

-Kirk

Offline Nhojdrib

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 01:05:00 PM »
Hi Kirk
I have no idea how images became rigs but to be precise 2624 tiff files. I have tried moving the folder to my PC's hard drive rather than an external drive but to no apparent benefit. I have increased the RAM allocation in settings. Now I cannot close PM nor open any of the tabs but can see a screen full of the tifs, but cannot scroll down. All frozen :(
John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 01:18:15 PM »
John,

I have no idea how images became rigs but to be precise 2624 tiff files. I have tried moving the folder to my PC's hard drive rather than an external drive but to no apparent benefit. I have increased the RAM allocation in settings. Now I cannot close PM nor open any of the tabs but can see a screen full of the tifs, but cannot scroll down. All frozen :(

Are you using PM5 or PM6?  Which build?
What is your default sorting method?
How big is each TIFF file?  (width and height)
Are they 8-bit TIFFs or 16-bit?

-Kirk

Offline Nhojdrib

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 07:18:35 AM »
Hi Kirk
Here are the stats:
PM5 Build 19720
Default Sort is Filename
TIFs are mainly 16 bit as scanned straight from my Perfection 4990 but many are 8bit
Typically 4500x3000 pixels and unopened file size 15-20Mb but a number very much larger and a similar number only 4-5Mb
When I first open PM all the thumbnails load up on screen in about 15-20 seconds but as soon as I click on one or try to scroll up or down it all freezes up with a 'non-responding' message. Today it worked fine initially for a moment or two and then back to problems!

Thanks for your help anticipated!
John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 12:06:15 PM »
John,

Here are the stats:
PM5 Build 19720
Default Sort is Filename
TIFs are mainly 16 bit as scanned straight from my Perfection 4990 but many are 8bit
Typically 4500x3000 pixels and unopened file size 15-20Mb but a number very much larger and a similar number only 4-5Mb
When I first open PM all the thumbnails load up on screen in about 15-20 seconds but as soon as I click on one or try to scroll up or down it all freezes up with a 'non-responding' message. Today it worked fine initially for a moment or two and then back to problems!

Is there some number of images where the problem doesn't happen?  (try dividing the images up into two folders)

If you want quicker turnaround in support, I suggest calling our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2800 option 2

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

Offline Nhojdrib

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 01:39:21 AM »
Hi Kirk
Yes the problem generally does not arise with less images in a folder but I amalgamated folders to make it easier to find images rather than having to search separate ones.
That need could be avoided if your 'Find' facility could search across a whole drive rather than a single folder at a time?!

John