Author Topic: how to work on raw file  (Read 3970 times)

Offline sfreund

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
how to work on raw file
« on: August 06, 2019, 06:52:20 PM »
Hi
I'm new to PM. Using PM 6 on Mac 10.12.6

I have ingested images that are JPG + raw files. When I save them to work on further in Photoshop, I seem to only be able to save the jpg. How do I access the raw file to do further processing? I seem to be missing something.

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: how to work on raw file
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 09:57:41 PM »
I have ingested images that are JPG + raw files. When I save them to work on further in Photoshop, I seem to only be able to save the jpg. How do I access the raw file to do further processing? I seem to be missing something.

Photoshop (the ACR plugin) won't modify RAW files.  You can make adjustments and then open the image to edit in Photoshop proper, but you can only save your Photoshop edits in a non-RAW format like PSD or TIFF (or JPEG but that's a lossy format.)

Photoshop ACR will save your adjustments (toning, exposure compensation, etc.) to an XMP sidecar file (same name as RAW file but with a .XMP file extension) and you can reopen the RAW file in ACR and continue to make adjustments.

Does this answer your question?

-Kirk

Offline sfreund

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 02:15:43 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply, but I do understand how ACR works. That's not what I was asking. I guess I didn't articulate the question properly. So here it goes again:

When I wish to process a photo from PM, I save it to another folder. The photo shows as a RAW+JPG. I choose the TIFF or PSD format. Now I want to save and work on the RAW file, not the JPG. But here's what I see on the PM screen (see attached screenshot).

Where it says: Source for RAW+JPG, only one option appears: Use the JPG. When I click on that, no option appears for using the RAW file.

Underneath that, for "When using RAW"...  there is Render RAW if possible or Use embedded view. Choosing the former still doesn't give me the RAW file to work with.

So either I'm misunderstanding how this works or I'm not setting things up properly on this screen.

Please let me know how I can access the RAW file for processing. I'm fully aware that once processed, the file can only be saved as a TIFF or PSD or JPG, not as another RAW file.

I hope my question is clear now.

Many thanks!

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 02:20:19 AM »
Interesting, I just tried this and indeed the "Source for RAW+JPG" can not be altered. Looks like you found a bug!
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline sfreund

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 02:28:31 AM »
This is no good. I need to be able to process the RAW file. There must be a solution or workaround for this, right?

I can't be the first person to notice this!

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 03:16:29 AM »
As a workaround you can unjoin the raw and jpg pairs and then select only the raws for saving.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline sfreund

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 05:27:01 PM »
I found a better solution.

Instead of choosing Save Photos As to process file, I chose Copy/Move Photos... and this latter option does allow me to choose the RAW file.

No idea why it works here and not in the other, but at least it works.

Hope this helps others who've come across this issue.

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 12:37:45 PM »
sfreund,

As I understand it, you want to move images that you wish to edit into a subfolder before doing so.  If this is the case, using the Move/Copy function is probably a much better choice than trying to use Save.   

Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits