Author Topic: Photo Mechanic + (Build 3543) GPS metadata incorrect when uploaded to Flickr  (Read 4895 times)

Offline OldRadioGuy

• Retired broadcast journalist/educator
    • View Profile
1. Select a JPG in the PM+ Contact Sheet
2. From Contact Sheet dropdown, Image -> Set GPS Coordinates
3. In opened Set GPS Coordinates window, type location information (In this test example: Sand Harbor State Park, Incline Village, Nevada)
4. Click Get GPS button
5. Click Accept button
6. Data is now entered in the GPS Coordinates fields in the left side of the Set GPS Coordinates window. The map window now shows a map with Sand Harbor in the center.
7. Click the Apply button to apply the data to the selected JPG image. (Reverse Geocode checkbox is unchecked)
8. Click the Close button to be returned to the Contact Sheet.
9. Upload to Flickr using either the PM+ upload function or the upload feature in Flickr
10. The Flickr map shows the example image location to be Luoguozipu, Hebel, China.

My System:
macOS Mojave Version 10.14.5
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
Processor 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphics Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

This function was working correctly in the early builds of PM+ beta, however I am unable to pinpoint the exact time the problem began because I attributed it to Flickr. Recently, I opened some of these JPGs with bad GPS data in ACDSee Photo Studio 5, reassigned the GPS location data using their map system, uploaded to Flickr and the coordinates were correct.
-------------
Olympus E-M1 Mark III, Olympus PEN-F

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
1. Select a JPG in the PM+ Contact Sheet
2. From Contact Sheet dropdown, Image -> Set GPS Coordinates
3. In opened Set GPS Coordinates window, type location information (In this test example: Sand Harbor State Park, Incline Village, Nevada)
4. Click Get GPS button
5. Click Accept button
6. Data is now entered in the GPS Coordinates fields in the left side of the Set GPS Coordinates window. The map window now shows a map with Sand Harbor in the center.
7. Click the Apply button to apply the data to the selected JPG image. (Reverse Geocode checkbox is unchecked)
8. Click the Close button to be returned to the Contact Sheet.
9. Upload to Flickr using either the PM+ upload function or the upload feature in Flickr
10. The Flickr map shows the example image location to be Luoguozipu, Hebel, China.

My System:
macOS Mojave Version 10.14.5
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
Processor 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphics Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

This function was working correctly in the early builds of PM+ beta, however I am unable to pinpoint the exact time the problem began because I attributed it to Flickr. Recently, I opened some of these JPGs with bad GPS data in ACDSee Photo Studio 5, reassigned the GPS location data using their map system, uploaded to Flickr and the coordinates were correct.

Could you please post a sample image?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline OldRadioGuy

• View Profile
Here's an image.
-------------

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Thanks for the sample image.  It shows as in Lake Tahoe for me in PM and in both Google Maps and Apple Maps.

How is this a problem with PM and not Flickr?

-Kirk

Offline OldRadioGuy

• View Profile
Thanks for the sample image.  It shows as in Lake Tahoe for me in PM and in both Google Maps and Apple Maps.

Which is exactly what I thought until I took the same image, used the GPS data from the map feature in ACDSee, and then uploaded to Flickr to get the correct location in Flickr.
-------------

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.

Which is exactly what I thought until I took the same image, used the GPS data from the map feature in ACDSee, and then uploaded to Flickr to get the correct location in Flickr.

OK, then we need more data points.  Take PM out of the equation as far as uploading goes.  Take the image you posted and put it on Flickr by uploading it via Flickr.  Does it have the correct GPS coordinates on Flickr?

-Kirk

Offline OldRadioGuy

• View Profile
Kirk, a couple of other tests: 1) I uploaded the same file with PM6 and PM+. Each time, Flickr put me in China. 2) I then took the PM+-map file and the ACDSee-map file and uploaded them simultaneously with Flickr's uploader. The PM+ file was identified as China, the ACDSee file was at Lake Tahoe.

I'm attaching both of those JPGs for you to compare.

Thanks,

Bob

-------------

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
I looked at all three of your images and they all take me to Lake Tahoe, both in PM and when I enter the coordinates in Apple or Google maps.

So the images are fine. The only difference I can see is that the ACDSee version is reporting at a slightly different location (fractioning/rounding errors) and that your first image file had the metadata in XMP and not in EXIF. But the data in all three is for Lake Tahoe so I don't understand why Flickr is giving you China because that is wrong.
If what was your first image was what is actually uploaded to Flickr, the only reason I can think of is that Flickr incorrectly interprets the XMP metadata (removing the - sign from the coordinates gives you a location in China, indeed). If that's the case it's a Flickr bug…

Code: [Select]
$ exiftool -n -gps* *.jpg
======== Tahoe-A-0039.jpg
[XMP:XMP-exif]  GPSLatitude                     : 39.1985
[XMP:XMP-exif]  GPSLongitude                    : -119.93225
[Composite]     GPSLatitudeRef                  : N
[Composite]     GPSLongitudeRef                 : W
[Composite]     GPSPosition                     : 39.1985 -119.93225
======== Tahoe-A-0039_ACDSee.jpg
[EXIF:GPS]      GPSLatitudeRef                  : N
[EXIF:GPS]      GPSLatitude                     : 39.1993666666667
[EXIF:GPS]      GPSLongitudeRef                 : W
[EXIF:GPS]      GPSLongitude                    : 119.931930555556
[Composite]     GPSLatitude                     : 39.1993666666667
[Composite]     GPSLongitude                    : -119.931930555556
[Composite]     GPSPosition                     : 39.1993666666667 -119.931930555556
======== Tahoe-A-0039_C1_On1PhotoRAW-2.jpg
[EXIF:GPS]      GPSLatitudeRef                  : N
[EXIF:GPS]      GPSLatitude                     : 39.1985
[EXIF:GPS]      GPSLongitudeRef                 : W
[EXIF:GPS]      GPSLongitude                    : 119.93225
[Composite]     GPSLatitude                     : 39.1985
[Composite]     GPSLongitude                    : -119.93225
[Composite]     GPSPosition                     : 39.1985 -119.93225
    3 image files read

Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline OldRadioGuy

• View Profile
Thanks, Hayo, for evaluating this conundrum.

Bob
-------------