Photo Mechanic > Support

RAW previews not updating in contact sheet

<< < (3/3)

sharonfullerton:

--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on August 23, 2019, 06:21:56 PM ---Sharon,

Did you try using the Adobe DNG Converter directly to see if it will in fact convert your CR2 images to DNG format without error?

-Kirk

--- End quote ---

I did use the Adobe DNG converter directly and it does convert my CR2 images to DNG without error.   However the amount of time it takes to convert the files isn't realistic in my workflow.  I'm hoping this isn't a deal breaker for me using this software.  I'm so happy with the PM trial - if I can just figure out the previews.    - Sharon

Kirk Baker:
Sharon,

--- Quote from: sharonfullerton on August 26, 2019, 10:57:37 AM ---
--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on August 23, 2019, 06:21:56 PM ---Did you try using the Adobe DNG Converter directly to see if it will in fact convert your CR2 images to DNG format without error?

--- End quote ---

I did use the Adobe DNG converter directly and it does convert my CR2 images to DNG without error.   However the amount of time it takes to convert the files isn't realistic in my workflow.  I'm hoping this isn't a deal breaker for me using this software.  I'm so happy with the PM trial - if I can just figure out the previews.
--- End quote ---

The only other recourse then is to use DNG files instead of CR2 files.  Adobe does not offer a library of code that will render RAW images according to their proprietary technology and we can't reverse-engineer it.  So we use the Adobe DNG Converter to do this rendering for PM, but it is painfully slow.  If you use DNG files, the previews in the DNG files will contain the updated previews which PM can utilize and it will be fast.

-Kirk

sharonfullerton:
Unfortunately converting my CR2 files to DNG isn't an option because of the time it takes.  I need to load my pictures and view the catalog.  I can wait a few minutes, but not hours.   My event this weekend was 9+ hours with 2 photographers. Can you imagine how long it would take to convert 2000 photos just so I could look at them ... let alone cull them?

Kirk - can you answer me this ... is it impossible to see updated CR2 previews in the contact sheet?  Or is this a specific issue with my software configuration?   

Thanks,
Sharon

Kirk Baker:
Sharon,

--- Quote from: sharonfullerton on August 26, 2019, 04:22:49 PM ---Unfortunately converting my CR2 files to DNG isn't an option because of the time it takes.  I need to load my pictures and view the catalog.  I can wait a few minutes, but not hours.   My event this weekend was 9+ hours with 2 photographers. Can you imagine how long it would take to convert 2000 photos just so I could look at them ... let alone cull them?

Kirk - can you answer me this ... is it impossible to see updated CR2 previews in the contact sheet?  Or is this a specific issue with my software configuration?   

--- End quote ---

It is not possible to see the adjustments you make to CR2 files with Adobe products inside PM without using the Adobe DNG Converter.

-Kirk

Odd Skjaeveland:

--- Quote from: sharonfullerton on August 26, 2019, 04:22:49 PM ---...is it impossible to see updated CR2 previews in the contact sheet?  Or is this a specific issue with my software configuration?
--- End quote ---

Alas, no it isn't. Raw files have become "don't touch" items, they will eventually end with their Read Only flag up.

Did you try to export jpegs from your image processor (ACR/PS/LR or other) to the raw file folder just for PM contact sheets? PM may then show Raw+Jpeg-as-exported. That may be faster than the DNG Converter route.

I don't shoot raw+jpeg, so I would probably do a PM ingest to the raw image folder followed by Tools->Extract JPG Previews... with Extract to source folder ticked. I would then have 3 files per image; raw+xmp+jpg. Then, when it is time, select processed images in the image processor and export to JPEG in the source folder, effectively overwriting extracted previews, and head back to PM.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version