Photo Mechanic > Support

RAW previews not updating in contact sheet

<< < (2/3) > >>

Kirk Baker:
Hayo,

--- Quote from: Hayo Baan on August 15, 2019, 12:15:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on August 15, 2019, 06:33:47 AM ---It should in this case now have the edits if the XMP sidecar file for the image has the LR/ACR edits saved into it.  This is the intention of the feature. What is supposed to happen when RAW rendering is enabled and a suitable Adobe DNG Converter is provided is that PM will launch the DNG Converter on a given image, the DNG Converter will generate a DNG to PM's cache, PM will extract the preview from that file, store it in the "Render Cache" and then delete the DNG file that was produced.  Then for as long as the preview is available and the Camera RAW settings (crss namespace in XMP) don't change, then PM will use that preview for all visualization purposes (thumbnails, previews, save-as, printing, etc.)

If this isn't working then either the feature is broken (entirely possible), or the image's XMP sidecar file does not have the Camera RAW settings saved into it.

--- End quote ---

Hi Kirk, are you saying that when you convert a raw file with a .xmp, Adbobe's DNG converter applies the edits mentioned inside the .xmp? I did not know that! If that's the case, turning on RAW rendering should indeed work (assuming the .xmps indeed contain the edits, LR requires a change of settings/manual upcate in this case, but ACR does this automatically).

--- End quote ---

Yes. So in order to get to the bottom of the issue, I'd like a RAW file and its corresponding XMP sidecar file for my testing.

-Kirk

sharonfullerton:
Kirk, Thank you very much.   Had to reshoot it as a small RAW because I was getting errors about the upload size. Here's the RAW and XMP sidecar file.

Sharon

--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on August 14, 2019, 02:45:14 PM ---Sharon,

Is it possible that you could share a RAW file and the XMP sidecar file with me that you have adjusted?  It could be some shot of a wall if you don't want to send a real image.

Thanks,

-Kirk

--- End quote ---

Kirk Baker:
Thanks for the sample files, Sharon.

Do you have the latest Adobe DNG Converter that will run on your system?  I'm on macOS 10.11.6 but the latest Adobe DNG Converter (11.4) won't run on macOS 10.11 and as such, your image won't render for me either.  The converter I have is too old (9.6) to handle images from your camera.

It may be that your Adobe DNG Converter app is also too old to convert your images to DNG.  You can test this theory by dragging and dropping one of your CR2 files onto the app and try to convert it.  If it gets an error, then your app is too old and you'll need to get a newer Adobe DNG Converter.

HTH,

-Kirk

sharonfullerton:

--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on August 23, 2019, 04:24:00 PM ---If it gets an error, then your app is too old and you'll need to get a newer Adobe DNG Converter.

HTH,

-Kirk

--- End quote ---

Thanks.   Indeed my DNG converter was older so I updated to 11.4.    Unfortunately it didn't change anything about the preview, despite restarting both ACR and photo mechanic.  I was hoping that it would magically fix the issue.  I'm looking over my PM preferences again to see if I've switched something in the umpteen times I've played with this to get it to update previews.

Any follow up ideas? 

Kirk Baker:
Sharon,

--- Quote from: sharonfullerton on August 23, 2019, 05:09:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on August 23, 2019, 04:24:00 PM ---If it gets an error, then your app is too old and you'll need to get a newer Adobe DNG Converter.

--- End quote ---

Thanks.   Indeed my DNG converter was older so I updated to 11.4.    Unfortunately it didn't change anything about the preview, despite restarting both ACR and photo mechanic.  I was hoping that it would magically fix the issue.  I'm looking over my PM preferences again to see if I've switched something in the umpteen times I've played with this to get it to update previews.

Any follow up ideas?

--- End quote ---

I'll have to test on a newer OS and updated Adobe DNG Converter and get back to you.  Just to set your expectations, the Adobe DNG Converter is extremely slow (takes about three to four seconds for each image) so performance is quite bad.  If you want the best experience and updated previews you may consider converting your CR2 images to DNG files which PM can access the previews nearly instantaneously.

Did you try using the Adobe DNG Converter directly to see if it will in fact convert your CR2 images to DNG format without error?

-Kirk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version