Author Topic: Remove from Collection & Remove Collection - 2 problems  (Read 3593 times)

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
    • Keith & Vlasta Ross-Jones
Remove from Collection & Remove Collection - 2 problems
« on: August 17, 2019, 06:39:44 PM »
In PMP Beta Build 3543 I created a test collection and added some items to it, then I opened a contact sheet for the collection.

1. Selected some items in the contact sheet for the collection and right-clicked and chose remove from collection. The item count for the collection went down as expected but the contact sheet did not refresh to reflect the changes.  I had to close and re-open the contact sheet.

2. I have a contact sheet for a collection open which has some items in it.  I then remove the collection but the contact sheet remains open and all references in the context menus to the collection are still present.  I can even add items to the collection and PMP creates the collection for me with the items included in the collection.

Not sure if this is the intended behaviour but I think the contact sheet should be updated to reflect the state of the collection and all references in context menus to a removed contact sheet should be removed.

On the other hand, not removing a contact sheet for a removed collection does provide a method to undo a removal!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Remove from Collection & Remove Collection - 2 problems
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 08:21:10 AM »
Keith,

In PMP Beta Build 3543 I created a test collection and added some items to it, then I opened a contact sheet for the collection.

1. Selected some items in the contact sheet for the collection and right-clicked and chose remove from collection. The item count for the collection went down as expected but the contact sheet did not refresh to reflect the changes.  I had to close and re-open the contact sheet.

You should be able to use the "refresh button" (chasing arrows icon on button in the contact sheet toolbar) to see those changes.

2. I have a contact sheet for a collection open which has some items in it.  I then remove the collection but the contact sheet remains open and all references in the context menus to the collection are still present.  I can even add items to the collection and PMP creates the collection for me with the items included in the collection.

Not sure if this is the intended behaviour but I think the contact sheet should be updated to reflect the state of the collection and all references in context menus to a removed contact sheet should be removed.

Certainly unexpected behavior for it to be able to add to a non-existing collection.  Not unexpected is the lack of 'dynamic refresh'.

On the other hand, not removing a contact sheet for a removed collection does provide a method to undo a removal!

Correct.  That's been our design in other parts of Photo Mechanic.  If you're viewing Tagged only in a folder-based Contact Sheet and then un-tag an item, it remains until you refresh.  Otherwise, if it were to immediately disappear and you had mistakenly un-tagged it then you have to switch to view all mode, find that image (out of potentially thousands of images) and then tag it again.  Painful.

-Kirk

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 07:23:59 PM »

You should be able to use the "refresh button" (chasing arrows icon on button in the contact sheet toolbar) to see those changes.

There is NO "refresh button" to be found anywhere and not even in the Standard Version 6.  The only refresh option I can find is in the menus.  I am on Windows 10 with a 4k screen.

Additionally, the refresh menu item does NOT refresh the contact sheet! I have to close and re-open to get an updated sheet.

Am I missing something?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 08:37:27 PM »

There is NO "refresh button" to be found anywhere and not even in the Standard Version 6.  The only refresh option I can find is in the menus.  I am on Windows 10 with a 4k screen.

Additionally, the refresh menu item does NOT refresh the contact sheet! I have to close and re-open to get an updated sheet.

Am I missing something?

The Refresh button in the contact sheet toolbar does not exist in PM6.  It exists only on a catalog-tab.  See the red outlined button in the attached screen shot.

-Kirk

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 06:38:19 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out  :)

Can that refresh button be added to the Contact Sheets?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 06:39:16 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out  :)

Can that refresh button be added to the Contact Sheets?

Not needed.  The filters update in real-time on folder-based Contact Sheets.

-Kirk