Author Topic: PM build 3558 - new build observations  (Read 4243 times)

Offline Skooker

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM build 3558 - new build observations
« on: August 15, 2019, 08:18:55 PM »
PM build 3558 - Running on Windows 10 New build observations: program starts about 20 sec faster than the previous build; there is still a lag when clicking on the ‘I’ icon to bring up the metadata template; still a delay when typing into IPTC fields; still a delay double clicking on images to bring up the Preview window; still a delay when clicking either the forward/back arrows in the upper left of the Preview window or on the keyboard arrows to move back & forward in the Preview window; inconsistent application of ctrl-C & ctrl-V in IPTC fields necessitating exiting & re-entering the IPTC template to use; still a delay when deleting images in the Preview window. Also when starting the program fresh both the PM contact sheet window & Preview widow open larger than my screen size & the right side info panel has the same problem, when the preview window is first opened it is either too large taking around 25 – 30% of the screen or it’s a sliver, almost invisible & the adjustment handle is very difficult to locate. Finally right clicking or ctrl-clicking the toolbar does not allow me to manage the buttons, ala PM V5

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM build 3558 - new build observations
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 10:53:05 PM »
For all of these issues, how many images are in your contact sheet, and what type of images are they?  If RAW, are you having PM6 do RAW rendering via the Adobe DNG Converter?

PM build 3558 - Running on Windows 10 New build observations: there is still a lag when clicking on the ‘I’ icon to bring up the metadata template.

Every time or only the first time?  How long is the delay?  And are you really talking about the Metadata (IPTC) Template or the Metadata (IPTC) Info dialog?

On my Windows 7 system both versions of the dialog open up in less than a second.

still a delay when typing into IPTC fields

How long of a delay?  Is it so long that you can easily type faster than the text appears (it lags behind your typing)?

still a delay double clicking on images to bring up the Preview window

Every time or only the first time?  How long is the delay?

still a delay when clicking either the forward/back arrows in the upper left of the Preview window or on the keyboard arrows to move back & forward in the Preview window

That's odd.  Moving through the previews on the Windows version absolutely rips for me.

inconsistent application of ctrl-C & ctrl-V in IPTC fields necessitating exiting & re-entering the IPTC template to use;

Inconsistent in what way?  How does one reproduce this problem?

still a delay when deleting images in the Preview window.

How long is the delay?

Also when starting the program fresh both the PM contact sheet window & Preview widow open larger than my screen size & the right side info panel has the same problem, when the preview window is first opened it is either too large taking around 25 – 30% of the screen or it’s a sliver, almost invisible & the adjustment handle is very difficult to locate.

Fresh as in a new install?  Or just on restart?  Can you post a screenshot of what it looks like?

Finally right clicking or ctrl-clicking the toolbar does not allow me to manage the buttons, ala PM V5

I was not aware that the Windows PM5 application allowed any toolbar button management.

You used the word "still" many times to describe the problems in the latest build which makes me think that you informed us of these problems and that we did not address them.  I looked at your other posts and I don't see where you brought these problems to our attention before.  Did you contact support about these issues?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Skooker

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 08:07:41 AM »
Sorry for the delayed response I’ve been away. To answer the questions:

# of images in contact sheet: 1 to approx. 35 at a time

‘I’ icon & metadata: delay 3-5 sec; the problem is with both IPTC Template & metadata info dialog

How long a delay in metadata: yes I can type faster than the metadata fields will accept, unfortunately when I do the metadata field does not always eventually capture all of the characters I’ve typed.

Delay double clicking images to bring up Preview window: this is consistent, i.e. it happens every time

Clicking on forward/back arrows, whether on the keyboard or preview window: glad t hear you’re not having the problem I’m having

Delay deleting in preview window: 2-3 sec; was almost immediate in PM5

Inconsistant ctrl-V: copy/paste will work for a while but then it stops, i.e. ctrl-V will not paste copied text – I’ll add that I can still copy/paste into or from MS Word without problems. If I close the metadata window & then reopen it copy/paste will then work again, for a while.

Initial opening of program problem with window size: I’m not sure what is meant by ‘fresh as in a new install’. I’ve had this problem ever since I installed PM6 just after it came out (update from PM5). Problems with the windows opening much too large for the screen occur almost every time I start PM6 for the day. If I close PM6 then reopen it there is no problem but if I turn off my computer & then turn it on again then restart PM6 the problem recurs. I’m not sure how to make a screen shot of something that takes over my entire screen & all that can be seen is the open contact sheet (without images) anchored to the upper left hand corner of the screen with the blank contact sheet (grey window filling the rest of the screen. – see screenshot from PM5 manual

Finally: I have addressed these problems before but not on the forum. I had an extensive email discussion with one of the PM people a while back, before I discovered the forum.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 08:52:06 AM »
Sorry for the delayed response I’ve been away. To answer the questions:

# of images in contact sheet: 1 to approx. 35 at a time

‘I’ icon & metadata: delay 3-5 sec; the problem is with both IPTC Template & metadata info dialog

That's odd.  What kind of system do you have?

How long a delay in metadata: yes I can type faster than the metadata fields will accept, unfortunately when I do the metadata field does not always eventually capture all of the characters I’ve typed.

Try turning off autocomplete and spellchecking to see if that makes any difference.

Delay double clicking images to bring up Preview window: this is consistent, i.e. it happens every time

How long is the delay?

Clicking on forward/back arrows, whether on the keyboard or preview window: glad t hear you’re not having the problem I’m having

Delay deleting in preview window: 2-3 sec; was almost immediate in PM5

It's immediate for me on my system with many more images than you're working with.

Inconsistant ctrl-V: copy/paste will work for a while but then it stops, i.e. ctrl-V will not paste copied text – I’ll add that I can still copy/paste into or from MS Word without problems. If I close the metadata window & then reopen it copy/paste will then work again, for a while.

That's very strange.

Initial opening of program problem with window size: I’m not sure what is meant by ‘fresh as in a new install’. I’ve had this problem ever since I installed PM6 just after it came out (update from PM5). Problems with the windows opening much too large for the screen occur almost every time I start PM6 for the day. If I close PM6 then reopen it there is no problem but if I turn off my computer & then turn it on again then restart PM6 the problem recurs. I’m not sure how to make a screen shot of something that takes over my entire screen & all that can be seen is the open contact sheet (without images) anchored to the upper left hand corner of the screen with the blank contact sheet (grey window filling the rest of the screen. – see screenshot from PM5 manual

You should be able to capture your entire screen.  I use Lightshot for screen captures on Windows.

Finally: I have addressed these problems before but not on the forum. I had an extensive email discussion with one of the PM people a while back, before I discovered the forum.

I'd like to see that email exchange if you're willing to share it with me.

As for your screenshot, of the toolbar icons from PM5, that was a macOS-only feature and never existed on Windows.

-Kirk

Offline Skooker

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 02:29:35 PM »
Sorry for the backhanded way I’m doing this but I can’t seem to figure out how to use the ‘quote’ button – probably simple but I’m not getting it.

System: HP Spectre 360; Processor i7-8750H; RAM 16 GB; running Windows10 64bit, Version 1809. Let me know if there is any other info you need.

Autocomplete is off, I don’t see where spell check can be turned off but it is currently on

Delay: just timed it again ~ 5 sec

I’m not sure what you mean that I should be able to capture my entire screen. When the initial contact sheet screen comes up I need to grab the size bars to make it smaller so that I can see the maximize/minimize buttons in the upper right corner. Once the screen is correctly sized these will either maximize to full screen size, minimize to the tool bar or return the size to its previous (what I’ve set) size.

Sorry to hear that I can’t adjust the toolbar icons; the ‘i’ button for the metadata & the external edit button are right next to each other & I occasionally click the edit button instead of the metadata button.

I was communicating with Bob Russell. He may have copies of the emails; I’m not sure how to send them to you.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 08:11:56 AM »
Sorry for the backhanded way I’m doing this but I can’t seem to figure out how to use the ‘quote’ button – probably simple but I’m not getting it.

System: HP Spectre 360; Processor i7-8750H; RAM 16 GB; running Windows10 64bit, Version 1809. Let me know if there is any other info you need.

Sounds like a reasonably peppy machine.  Where are your images stored and what kind of images are you browsing?

Autocomplete is off, I don’t see where spell check can be turned off but it is currently on

In the IPTC/XMP tab of the Preferences dialog is a checkbox that turns on/off the spellchecking features.

Delay: just timed it again ~ 5 sec

I’m not sure what you mean that I should be able to capture my entire screen.

I mean for you to take a screen grab.  https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/capture-screenshots-windows-10

Sorry to hear that I can’t adjust the toolbar icons; the ‘i’ button for the metadata & the external edit button are right next to each other & I occasionally click the edit button instead of the metadata button.

Are you viewing very small thumbnails?

I was communicating with Bob Russell. He may have copies of the emails; I’m not sure how to send them to you.

Thanks.  I will follow up with him on Monday.

-Kirk

Offline Skooker

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 03:10:49 PM »
Sounds like a reasonably peppy machine.  Where are your images stored and what kind of images are you browsing: jpg’s, dng’s RW2’s

In the IPTC/XMP tab of the Preferences dialog is a checkbox that turns on/off the spellchecking features: Thanks I found it I was expecting to see it with the autocorrect

Are you viewing very small thumbnails: no generally using the default setting or sometimes I make them bigger

I’ll look at the article you’ve referenced about screen grabs. Also where can I find instructions on doing the quotes such as you are using? Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 06:58:59 PM »
Sounds like a reasonably peppy machine.  Where are your images stored and what kind of images are you browsing: jpg’s, dng’s RW2’s

Where are the images stored?  Local SSD, local HD, external SSD, external HD, networked drive?

Are you viewing very small thumbnails: no generally using the default setting or sometimes I make them bigger

Then the buttons should be fairly far apart.  I'm having trouble understanding how you would click the wrong one then?  If you'd rather use the keyboard, select a single image, and then the following apply:

Pressing 'i' will bring up the Metadata (IPTC) Info dialog.
Pressing 'space bar' will bring up the Preview window.

Also where can I find instructions on doing the quotes such as you are using?

Simply click the 'Quote' link to the right of my reply and my entire post will be quoted.  If you want to break things up into smaller chunks you can copy the quote tag (it's in square brackets) and end with a /quote (surrounded by square brackets.)

-Kirk

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 03:43:07 PM »

I’ll look at the article you’ve referenced about screen grabs. Also where can I find instructions on doing the quotes such as you are using? Thanks

More details about quoting: https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Quote

Offline Skooker

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 01:08:16 PM »

Where are the images stored?  Local SSD, local HD, external SSD, external HD, networked drive?

Images are stored on the local SSD

Then the buttons should be fairly far apart.  I'm having trouble understanding how you would click the wrong one then?  If you'd rather use the keyboard, select a single image, and then the following apply:

Pressing 'i' will bring up the Metadata (IPTC) Info dialog.
Pressing 'space bar' will bring up the Preview window.

Also where can I find instructions on doing the quotes such as you are using?

Simply click the 'Quote' link to the right of my reply and my entire post will be quoted.  If you want to break things up into smaller chunks you can copy the quote tag (it's in square brackets) and end with a /quote (surrounded by square brackets.)

-Kirk

At one time you asked for screen shots of the over expanded contact sheet and preview. I've attached jpg's of these. I'm not sure how these will help, the contact sheet shows the upper left portion of the sheet and the rest is off the screen, as can be seen by the lack of the dash, box and X that should be in the upper right corner. The preview screen shows the mis-positioning of the thumbnails at the bottom and the right hand bar with the histogram, etc. I do not work with these set as you see them. I have the thumbnails as low as I can and still see the image labels and the histogram, etc column as far to the right as possible and still see all of the information.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 01:22:14 PM »
I'm not seeing the Preview screen shot.  Thanks for the contact sheet image.  Do you have the main window (contact sheet) maximized when you quit?  If not, does it make a difference when you do?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Skooker

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 01:40:40 PM »
Sorry, I uploaded a continuation of the contact sheet. I've attached the correct jpg.

It makes no difference if the contact sheet r preview is open full screen or not I have the same problem with either.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2019, 06:51:06 PM »
That's very odd.  Sounds like PM isn't able to write to your Windows Registry.

-Kirk

Offline Skooker

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 05:35:40 PM »

-Kirk

Is there a way to fix this?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 09:02:46 AM »

Is there a way to fix this?

Possibly.  What region of the world are you in?  We could have one of our tech support agents run a screen sharing session to access your computer to see what is going on.

-Kirk