Author Topic: PM6 3558 Color labels DO NOT transfer to LR Classic 8.4  (Read 2632 times)

Offline schlotz

• View Profile
PM6 3558 Color labels DO NOT transfer to LR Classic 8.4
« on: August 18, 2019, 05:03:17 AM »
I have PM prefs set to use LR default colors, names associated with those colors are identical to LR. I've tried each variation of the two check boxes below in PM pref's Color Classes section and in each case LR does not recognize any colors. Also tried it with PM's default colors and still no colors are transfered.  The xmp files do show a time change associated to making a color change inside of PM so something is being updated but apparently LR is not recognizing the specific field it expects to see for color tag. This used to work back in PM5 but somewhere along the line that too must have been broken because I just tried it and the colors DO NOT transfer either.

MBP w/ OSX 10.14.6

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM6 3558 Color labels DO NOT transfer to LR Classic 8.4
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 08:15:27 AM »
The colors don't matter.  It is the label names that must match.  But you may as well choose the same colors for the same labels in both programs.

Lightroom needs to read the changes you've made.  You may have to force it to do so by selecting those images and from the Metadata menu choosing "Read Metadata from File".

-Kirk

Offline schlotz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 10:59:20 AM »
The colors don't matter.  It is the label names that must match.  But you may as well choose the same colors for the same labels in both programs.

Lightroom needs to read the changes you've made.  You may have to force it to do so by selecting those images and from the Metadata menu choosing "Read Metadata from File".

-Kirk

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I must have missed that they needed to be labeled Winner, Winner alt, etc...  If you select the color class "[Adobe Lightroom]" from the PM drop down  I thought the label names it populates were the correct LR names but turns out they are not. They have to be named Winner, etc...  Camera Bits might want to consider updating that so it populates with the correct names automatically.  As far as I can tell there is no way in LR to change those names or add additional ones so we are stuck with only using 5 colors and the set names of Winner, etc...  PM supports 8 colors but LR only recognizes the first 5, so if you were to apply in PM a color for #6, 7 or 8, LR upon importing will make any of them white.   

Matt

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 11:57:27 AM »
Thanks for getting back to me.  I must have missed that they needed to be labeled Winner, Winner alt, etc...  If you select the color class "[Adobe Lightroom]" from the PM drop down  I thought the label names it populates were the correct LR names but turns out they are not. They have to be named Winner, etc

What you are saying should definitely not be the case. Lightroom uses color class fields named "Red", "Yellow", "Blue", "Green", and "Purple". It should definitely not be recognizing "Winner" as those were just Photo Mechanic's old labels. Your Preferences panel should look like my attached screenshot.

Are there XMP files for these files that you are adding color classes to? Open the XMP file and look for a line that starts with "xmp:Label" and let us know what it says after that, and what color class that image appears as in Photo Mechanic in Lightroom.

Offline schlotz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 09:20:15 AM »
Well this is very weird.  PM6 is set to color class "Adobe Lightroom" and the actual colors are the labels ie Red etc.  The xmp file does show xmp:Label Red but when I import it to LR I do not get a red color. It's white and notice what the right click on the colors at the bottom of LR shows.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 09:59:50 AM »
Could you please post a screen shot of what your color label preferences look like in Lightroom?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline schlotz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 10:01:01 AM »
Ok, found the culprit.  Somehow LR's >Metadata>Color Label Set was not on default but rather on Photo Mechanic.  Took a few minutes to get everything back in sync.  First, switched the Color Label Set back to Lightroom Default then went back into PM prefs and set the color class to LR.  Recolored all the photos in PM by grabbing all the reds, change them to a diff color then change them back to reds.  Did that for each color. Back in LR, grabbed all the photos and had LR re-read the metadata.  Now everything is in sync.
Whew....  :o

Offline schlotz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 10:02:16 AM »
Was typing the above when you replied Kirk.  Yup that was the issue.  Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 10:04:12 AM »
Great.  Yes, the essential part is that the label names need to be exactly the same in both applications.  Of course you should also make the colors appear to be the same or that would also be confusing, but basically the mapping between the two programs is textual via the label names.

-Kirk