Photo Mechanic Plus > Feature Requests

Browsing folders without opening contact sheets

(1/3) > >>

KeithRJ:
I regularly find myself moving between folders looking for and/or tagging photos.  In order to do that you have to open a contact sheet for each folder.  This starts to get very clumsy and I believe there could be a very simple solution as follows:

Have a special contact sheet that simply updates its contents to the selected folder in the Navigator panel.  You could  nominate an existing contact sheet to perform this function or open a special contact sheet from a menu.

This would allow you to select this special contact sheet when you quickly want to browse your folder tree and still use standard contact sheets as before.

You could call this special contact sheet a Dynamic Contact Sheet  :)

Kirk Baker:
Keith,

Right-click on a folder in the Navigator and you can choose to open the folder replacing the existing contact sheet's folder.  The Favorites offers this as well.

-Kirk

syncrasy:
If you're using the folder tree in the Organizer (catalog) > Browse section, I found that the "Reuse Search Tabs" checkbox in the upper left stops the phenomenon of contact sheets multiplying like rabbits. (Took me a while to figure that out.) Of course, I'm still not entirely comfortable with PM+'s use of contact sheets for browsing a catalog. For example, the label on the contact sheet is confusingly labelled "Search" (different from the concept of browsing), and I would rather there were a permanent (not dynamic) UI for browsing cataloged folders (closing the only contact sheet remaining closes the entire UI!), but that's a discussion for another day.

Kirk Baker:
Mark,

--- Quote from: syncrasy on August 20, 2019, 08:57:03 PM ---If you're using the folder tree in the Organizer (catalog) > Browse section, I found that the "Reuse Search Tabs" checkbox in the upper left stops the phenomenon of contact sheets multiplying like rabbits. (Took me a while to figure that out.) Of course, I'm still not entirely comfortable with PM+'s use of contact sheets for browsing a catalog. For example, the label on the contact sheet is confusingly labelled "Search" (different from the concept of browsing), and I would rather there were a permanent (not dynamic) UI for browsing cataloged folders (closing the only contact sheet remaining closes the entire UI!), but that's a discussion for another day.

--- End quote ---

That could be done.  We could have a single tab called "Catalog" (or whatever users find most comfortable) that is the one and only place for filters/searches/browsing.  It wouldn't be difficult.  But I do think there is a place for multiple tabs with search/browse/filter/collection results which I find are useful for comparison.

-Kirk

syncrasy:

--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on August 21, 2019, 09:39:07 AM ---Mark,

--- Quote from: syncrasy on August 20, 2019, 08:57:03 PM ---If you're using the folder tree in the Organizer (catalog) > Browse section, I found that the "Reuse Search Tabs" checkbox in the upper left stops the phenomenon of contact sheets multiplying like rabbits. (Took me a while to figure that out.) Of course, I'm still not entirely comfortable with PM+'s use of contact sheets for browsing a catalog. For example, the label on the contact sheet is confusingly labelled "Search" (different from the concept of browsing), and I would rather there were a permanent (not dynamic) UI for browsing cataloged folders (closing the only contact sheet remaining closes the entire UI!), but that's a discussion for another day.

--- End quote ---

That could be done.  We could have a single tab called "Catalog" (or whatever users find most comfortable) that is the one and only place for filters/searches/browsing.  It wouldn't be difficult.  But I do think there is a place for multiple tabs with search/browse/filter/collection results which I find are useful for comparison.

-Kirk

--- End quote ---

Oooh, glad you are open to the idea. I agree that there will always be a place for multiple tabs for search results, etc., as that's one of the (many) strengths of the original PM. But as was mentioned in another thread, a catalog is a new paradigm, and the ability to start from (and return to) "home base" without a lot of faff (I had to look it up too) I think is essential to a successful DAM software.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version