Author Topic: Browsing by star rating  (Read 5336 times)

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
Browsing by star rating
« on: August 21, 2019, 12:48:30 AM »
I've created a catalog and imported a folder full of folders containing pictures.

I'm in the browse tab and want to see the two star pictures in one of the subfolders. When I select the sub folder and the two star rating I see all the two star pictures in the catalog. How do I see only the two star images in the sub folder?

Thanks!

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Browsing by star rating
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 06:52:38 AM »
Use the Filter tab.  Choose the desired rating.  Then add on the Folders filter and select your subfolder.

-Kirk

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 09:27:26 AM »
Yes, thanks, I see now. A bit of a faff though and definatly not intuitive. My sub folder often disappears - the folder path resets itself if I switch between star ratings. I'd like to stay in the same sub folder and be able to switch between star ratings without the folder path resetting.

Thanks anyway!

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 09:30:26 AM »
On the other hand, I can use the browse tab and chose which star ratings I want to see in the same way as the contact sheet works in plain old PM. Except I have to click the refresh arrows. I think that's better and easier!

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 09:36:07 AM »
David,

Yes, thanks, I see now. A bit of a faff though and definatly not intuitive. My sub folder often disappears - the folder path resets itself if I switch between star ratings. I'd like to stay in the same sub folder and be able to switch between star ratings without the folder path resetting.

If the subfolder is the most critical criteria, change the first filter type from Rating to Folders, choose your subfolder, then add the Rating filter and choose two stars.

You should then get what you want and can change the ratings at will to see different photos from the same subfolder.

I'm sorry if you find it to be a 'faff' (I had to look that one up) but basically you start out with your most 'base' criteria and then add additional filters to narrow down your desired set.

-Kirk

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 10:05:54 AM »
If the subfolder is the most critical criteria, change the first filter type from Rating to Folders, choose your subfolder, then add the Rating filter and choose two stars.

Ah, yes, much better, thanks.

I'm sorry if you find it to be a 'faff' (I had to look that one up)

For a moment I was worried it might have a different meaning in American...

While I'm here: selecting sub folders in my Folder Path, I notice that if I'm in one folder and then select another I have two folders selected. I don't move from one to another. Wouldn't that be expected? Usually if I want to select two items I need to command-click. In PM+ I have to deselect every time I want to see just the contents of a different folder.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 10:24:09 AM »
David,

While I'm here: selecting sub folders in my Folder Path, I notice that if I'm in one folder and then select another I have two folders selected. I don't move from one to another. Wouldn't that be expected? Usually if I want to select two items I need to command-click. In PM+ I have to deselect every time I want to see just the contents of a different folder.

That was a UI experiment that is not being well received.  We will be changing it for the next beta to work like you describe.

-Kirk

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 11:29:05 PM »
Yes Kirk, change !

It is very difficult to use browser and filter, not intuitive, not clear and not smart
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 07:32:12 AM »
Yes Kirk, change !

It is very difficult to use browser and filter, not intuitive, not clear and not smart

The change will appear in the next beta.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 11:04:13 AM »
That will be great!
Thanks a lot.
Regards,
-Luiz Muzzi