Author Topic: How to associate Mozilla Thunderbird as the e-mail client in Windows 10 op syste  (Read 4441 times)

Offline Bones

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi To forum members,  I am a bit baffled as to how to associate Camera Mechanic with my installed e-mail programme Mozilla thunderbird.

Most other programmes I have used had found this e-mail client automatically..........

What am I doing wrong ???
I can't find a way to make Camera Mechanic use Mozilla Thunderbird as the default e-mail programme.

Can anyone help me please.  Regards John Skelton.

Offline dig

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi John,

It didn't work for me either. (PM6, Thunderbird and Win 10. I got a massage concerning a MAPI problem).
PM5, Thunderbird (32bit version) and Win 10 runs for years without any problem.

I think you have to to use a 64bit version of Thunderbird with PM6 (its only "beta" and difficult to find on the Mozilla site).
With Thunderbird 64bit the "MAPI" dialogue has disappeared on my computer, but I run in some problems with mailing photos with PM6.

So I still use PM5 + reinstalled Thunderbird (32 bit) and all works fine for me…

Regards,
DiG

Offline Bones

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
The company has acknowledged that there is an issue with the latest version.  Their fix is to download the last of version 5 software from the website and then use a key from version 6 to run this software.  Or you can opt for the free 30 day trial.

Version 5 does find my Mozilla Thunderbird e-mail client on my computer running windows 10.  Regards John Skelton.

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
Has this been fixed in PM6 yet? I went back to PM5. It works!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Has this been fixed in PM6 yet? I went back to PM5. It works!

We lost that ability when we moved to the 64-bit architecture.  We have replaced the "MAPI" functionality with the ability to directly send email via your own (your Internet Service Provider's) SMTP server.

It won't be making a comeback.

-Kirk

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
I was not able to get PM6 to work directly with Spectrum (formerly Time Warner) either. Using Win 10 Pro, 64 bit, I filled in the SMTP server information and consistently get the protocol error message trying to email from PM6. I don't see anyplace to set the protocol in PM6. I did contact support. Camerabits Support said go back to PM5 which I've done. It works. PM6 doesn't appear to have an address book either. That is another advantage of going through my default email app. I didn't need to know an email address. I just got it from the address book.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
PM6 doesn't appear to have an address book either. That is another advantage of going through my default email app. I didn't need to know an email address. I just got it from the address book.

True, the address book interface is provided by MAPI as well.

-Kirk

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
PM6 doesn't appear to have an address book either. That is another advantage of going through my default email app. I didn't need to know an email address. I just got it from the address book.

-Kirk

Just a couple more questions/clarifications and I'll put this topic to bed. As I said in my previous email, I tried to send from my ISP, Spectrum, and get a protocol error. I entered settings in the SMTP Settings window of PM6, the settings I use with my email app and as specified by Spectrum but get the protocol error. Should I conclude that PM6 doesn't work with some ISPs? Just happened to think, I'm using settings for IMAP. Should I use POP settings instead?

The Send Photos via email screen maintains the "Review email in email application before sending." Is this a non-functioning carryover from the PM5 screen since PM6 sends internally?

If I can figure out how to get email working in PM6, will I need to enter every recipient address individually? I have groups setup in my email app. Entering 15-20 addresses separately would be time consuming.

Finally, maybe this statement from the Camerabits Web site should be modified a little with some qualifier:

Send Files Fast
Photo Mechanic works with your default e-mail app to send files as attachments. Perfect for getting images to clients fast.

Support and you have both said PM6 will not work with my default e-mail app Thunderbird.

I'll just continue using PM5 as a "workaround" since it works for me.

Thanks listening and all your work to help PM users.

Over and out!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.

Just a couple more questions/clarifications and I'll put this topic to bed. As I said in my previous email, I tried to send from my ISP, Spectrum, and get a protocol error. I entered settings in the SMTP Settings window of PM6, the settings I use with my email app and as specified by Spectrum but get the protocol error. Should I conclude that PM6 doesn't work with some ISPs? Just happened to think, I'm using settings for IMAP. Should I use POP settings instead?

Neither.  Neither IMAP nor POP are SMTP.  You need to enter SMTP server information.

The Send Photos via email screen maintains the "Review email in email application before sending." Is this a non-functioning carryover from the PM5 screen since PM6 sends internally?

Yes, it should be hidden for now.

If I can figure out how to get email working in PM6, will I need to enter every recipient address individually? I have groups setup in my email app. Entering 15-20 addresses separately would be time consuming.

Yes, you would.  Though you could make snapshots and the addresses you entered would be saved/restored.

-Kirk

Offline Woodie

• View Profile

Neither IMAP nor POP are SMTP.  You need to enter SMTP server information.

My error in terms. I entered the SMTP settings I use in other applications, as specified by Spectrum, and get the protocol error.

Username: my full Spectrum email address
Password: my Spectrum password
SMTP server: mail.twc.com
Port: 587

PM5 works ok so I'll continue to use that. I can always save small JPGs then attach in email if I want to use PM6. It just saves a lot of steps to email from PM.