Author Topic: Resize during "Live Ingest"  (Read 3604 times)

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
Resize during "Live Ingest"
« on: August 30, 2019, 07:34:50 AM »
Is there a way to resize images coming in through Live Ingest on the fly?  I am using a D850 and event on the "Small" JPG setting, it is a way bigger than I need for my use.  Looking for a way to have an unattended resize down to, say, 2000 px on the long edge, and know that the original full size images are on the chip.

If not now, can this be considered in a future version?

-Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Resize during "Live Ingest"
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 08:47:40 AM »
Mike,

Is there a way to resize images coming in through Live Ingest on the fly?  I am using a D850 and event on the "Small" JPG setting, it is a way bigger than I need for my use.  Looking for a way to have an unattended resize down to, say, 2000 px on the long edge, and know that the original full size images are on the chip.

Directly modifying "originals" goes against one of the prime philosophies of Photo Mechanic.

If not now, can this be considered in a future version?

I could see having an option to make resized copies in a different folder, but I don't think we'd ever implement something that modified the original images.  We don't know where your images are coming from and we can't tell if you'll Ingest the originals again.

-Kirk

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
Re: Resize during "Live Ingest"
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 08:56:47 AM »
Understood - that is very fair.

A resized "copy" in it's own folder would be great.  I am using Photoshop with a "watch folder" plug-in to run a resize action before dropping it into the final folder.  Between PM and Photoshop and a third-part plug in, WAYYYYYYY too many moving parts.  Trying to make PM be the cornerstone of this flow since I am doing IPTC manipulation along the way.

Thanks for considering it for the future.

-Mike