Author Topic: Code replacement - changing variables at different times of day  (Read 5236 times)

Offline gbaker49

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Code replacement - changing variables at different times of day
« on: September 05, 2019, 08:05:22 AM »
I don't know if this is possible or not with the new Hot codes in the current version of PM

I use a complex set of code replacements for motorsports pretty much every weekend.

There are different classes of cars (with numbers) on the track during the course of the day.

Different classes of cars can use the same number (Car #18 in the Xfinity Series is a different sponsor, driver, model then the #18 Monster Energy Cup car)

Is there a way for PM to look at the time stamp that the photo was taken and based on that input the correct replacement.

For example if I use the replacement \18\ is there a way for PM to decide that since the time stamp of the camera was 10:34.56 and the Xfinity series was practicing from 10:00 - 11:00 then the code replacement it would choose would be: 18   #18: Jack Hawksworth, Joe Gibbs Racing, Toyota Supra iK9
and if the time stamp of the camera was 13:32.54 then it would choose: 18   #18: Kyle Buschh, Joe Gibbs Racing, Toyota Camry M&M

Just curious, I though maybe the Hot Codes would be an answer but they are still a bit confusing to me.

Thanks for any advice or help,

Gavin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Code replacement - changing variables at different times of day
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 09:13:27 AM »
Gavin,

I don't know if this is possible or not with the new Hot codes in the current version of PM

I use a complex set of code replacements for motorsports pretty much every weekend.

There are different classes of cars (with numbers) on the track during the course of the day.

Different classes of cars can use the same number (Car #18 in the Xfinity Series is a different sponsor, driver, model then the #18 Monster Energy Cup car)

Is there a way for PM to look at the time stamp that the photo was taken and based on that input the correct replacement.

For example if I use the replacement \18\ is there a way for PM to decide that since the time stamp of the camera was 10:34.56 and the Xfinity series was practicing from 10:00 - 11:00 then the code replacement it would choose would be: 18   #18: Jack Hawksworth, Joe Gibbs Racing, Toyota Supra iK9
and if the time stamp of the camera was 13:32.54 then it would choose: 18   #18: Kyle Buschh, Joe Gibbs Racing, Toyota Camry M&M

Why not just have codes for the specific series?

X18 ->#18: Jack Hawksworth, Joe Gibbs Racing, Toyota Supra iK9
M18 -> #18: Kyle Buschh, Joe Gibbs Racing, Toyota Camry M&M

Just one letter difference that should be simple enough to recall when you're going through the images should suffice?

-Kirk

Offline gbaker49

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 11:54:58 AM »
That's what I currently do :)  sometimes with 6 or so classes the prefix gets forgotten by different photographers and they use the incorrect one.  I'm trying to come up with a way to "stupid proof" it. :)

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 12:19:29 PM »
It sure is possible if you combine with the {h24} variable

{h24} expands to the hour in the timestamp (padded with a 0 if needed)

You could set up a code replacement file that looked like

18-10   #18: Jack Hawksworth, Joe Gibbs Racing, Toyota Supra iK9
18-13   #18: Kyle Buschh, Joe Gibbs Racing, Toyota Camry M&M

And then use the replacement \18-{h24}\    Anything from 10:00 - 10:59 would get Jack and between 13:00 - 13:59 would get Kyle. You may want to make sure other hours are covered just in case, but it can be done. And, you'll have to trust the track to keep to a very strict schedule.

Another option to consider is if your camera(s) support recording to different folders. You can work the folder into the code replacement as well (slightly more involved though, but more resistant to changes in schedule)

Hope this helps

Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline gbaker49

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 12:22:53 PM »
That is an excellent idea!  I even like the folder idea since we all know the client's schedules change as often as the wind.  Thanks for sharing your idea.

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 12:33:25 PM »
Sure.  Here is a list of all the variables.  You'll notice there are variables that will expand folder names e.g. {fldn} will expand to the first 3 numbers of the DCIM folder. Might take some trial and error to see how your camera handles it.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=Image_Variables

-Mick

Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline gbaker49

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 12:39:34 PM »
Yes yes!  I will try this over the weekend.  I have a few replacements to write. Thanks for the ideas!