Author Topic: Best Way to Add Edited Image  (Read 5183 times)

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
Best Way to Add Edited Image
« on: May 05, 2020, 08:34:58 PM »
Here is the situation (running PM6 Plus build 4627 on a 2019 15" MacBook Pro with MacOS 10.15.4):

I have images cataloged on a folder that contains about 50 subfolders. There are nearly 60,000 images in total. I run a search for a certain keyword. After getting the results, I go through the images and tag several. I then limit the display in the search to the images that have been Tagged (by using the filter dropdown at the top of the search sheet).

I then select a raw file that I want to edit and use Edit with to open it in an external editor. I edit the image, then export or save it as a jpg in the same folder as the original raw file.

How do I easily get the edited image to appear in the catalog and search?

As near as I can tell, the only thing that works is to hunt down the folder that it was stored in, open that folder as a contact sheet in PM, then add the image to the catalog. (I probably also check the keywords to see if the editor messed up the EXIF, and fix that if necessary.) If the editor automatically saved the edited image in the folder with the original file, I do not know which folder in the catalog that the image is in, unless I use PM to show the original file in Finder, then make a note of the location, the find the dolder in PM and open a Contact Sheet.

That is all cumbersome. Is there a better way?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Best Way to Add Edited Image
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 09:06:46 AM »
Mick,

Here is the situation (running PM6 Plus build 4627 on a 2019 15" MacBook Pro with MacOS 10.15.4):

I have images cataloged on a folder that contains about 50 subfolders. There are nearly 60,000 images in total. I run a search for a certain keyword. After getting the results, I go through the images and tag several. I then limit the display in the search to the images that have been Tagged (by using the filter dropdown at the top of the search sheet).

I then select a raw file that I want to edit and use Edit with to open it in an external editor. I edit the image, then export or save it as a jpg in the same folder as the original raw file.

How do I easily get the edited image to appear in the catalog and search?

As near as I can tell, the only thing that works is to hunt down the folder that it was stored in, open that folder as a contact sheet in PM, then add the image to the catalog. (I probably also check the keywords to see if the editor messed up the EXIF, and fix that if necessary.) If the editor automatically saved the edited image in the folder with the original file, I do not know which folder in the catalog that the image is in, unless I use PM to show the original file in Finder, then make a note of the location, the find the dolder in PM and open a Contact Sheet.

That is all cumbersome. Is there a better way?

That does sound cumbersome.  I'm open to suggestions on how to make it less so.

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 11:19:30 AM »
Kirk,

Maybe I am missing something.

In PM6+, when I click on Reveal in Finder for the original image in a Search tab, I am taken to a Finder window showing the folder with the original raw files and the newly edited jpg. So far so good.

If I then right click on the folder name in Finder and select Services|Browse with Photo Mechanic, nothing happens if PM6+ is running. If PM6+ is not running, I get this message: The “Browse with Photo Mechanic” service could not be used because the “BrowseWithPMService.service” application did not respond to a request for services."

Do I need to do something to activate or update that Service?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 12:36:16 PM »
Mick,

Maybe I am missing something.

In PM6+, when I click on Reveal in Finder for the original image in a Search tab, I am taken to a Finder window showing the folder with the original raw files and the newly edited jpg. So far so good.

If I then right click on the folder name in Finder and select Services|Browse with Photo Mechanic, nothing happens if PM6+ is running. If PM6+ is not running, I get this message: The “Browse with Photo Mechanic” service could not be used because the “BrowseWithPMService.service” application did not respond to a request for services."

Do I need to do something to activate or update that Service?

It is currently broken.  But I see where you're going.  I think it would be better to right-click on the RAW file and have a new command "Reveal in context" (or something like it) that would open a folder-based Contact Sheet tab with the RAW photo selected.  Your JPEG should either now be paired with the RAW or sitting next to it (given similar naming and Filename sort).  Then you'd either directly "Add to Catalog" (in the RAW+JPEG case) or select the JPEG and "Add to Catalog".

How does that sound?

-Kirk
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 05:04:23 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 04:32:17 PM »
Kirk,

Short of a genie that could figure out what I want and do it for me, your proposed solution sounds good.

Is there any thought by Camera Bits to have images sotomatically added to the catalog if they are placed in a folder?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 05:04:05 PM »
Mick,

Short of a genie that could figure out what I want and do it for me, your proposed solution sounds good.

Is there any thought by Camera Bits to have images automatically added to the catalog if they are placed in a folder?

We've thought about it, but there isn't a solution that works for all types of disks when the images are added to a folder outside of Photo Mechanic.  Both of our supported OSes offer folder monitoring, but they don't work on anything but local volumes at best.  Rescanning all folders contained in a catalog would be too expensive.

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 08:15:21 PM »
That's understandable, Kirk.

Do you think you can implement the "Reveal in Context' (or maybe Reveal in Folder) command. Maybe it would be better if the opened folder defaulted to sort by Capture Time, rather than Filename, although Filename might be good enough.

Offline Dub

• View Profile
    • instantsphotos
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 11:07:44 PM »
Hello,

Maybe a connection with this thread  ???

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=12776.0

"Open with ..." Photo Mechanic Plus works very well ...

;)
French and "English" with DeepL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MPB 13" M1 / Monterey
https://instantsphotos.fr/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 11:16:18 PM »
Mick,

That's understandable, Kirk.

Do you think you can implement the "Reveal in Context' (or maybe Reveal in Folder) command. Maybe it would be better if the opened folder defaulted to sort by Capture Time, rather than Filename, although Filename might be good enough.

It will open with your default sort order or the sort order currently set if you just happen to have that folder open as a Contact Sheet tab already.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 06:39:10 PM »
Mick,

Please try out the new Beta 17 build: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=12753.msg65531#msg65531

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
    • Keith & Vlasta Ross-Jones
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 07:54:23 PM »
New Context Menu option works really well and I can see it being very useful in many scenarios.

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 08:20:50 PM »
Thanks, Kirk. It works great.