Author Topic: Leica Q2 Support/Serial Number Read  (Read 3634 times)

Offline brettwilhelm

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Leica Q2 Support/Serial Number Read
« on: September 06, 2019, 05:27:04 PM »
Hi all,

I don't believe this is directly a PM issue, but hoping community might have found solution. Managing a large group of photogs for an event and heavily relying on Code Replacements throughout. One photographer has one Leica Q2 body.  PM can't seem to read the Leica Q2 camera serial number, but looking both the JPEG and the DNG in a variety of programs, I don't believe Leica is embedding the serial in the file, at least not in a standard way.  Code replacement is working fine on all the other cameras from other manufacturers in the group, so I know the PM setup is correct.

Any ideas from the group on leveraging Code Replacement on Leica Q2 or a relevant workaround (primarily to translate proper credit/copyright in metadata)?

Still researching...

cheers,
Brett

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Leica Q2 Support/Serial Number Read
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 03:38:14 AM »
Actually in the example Leica Q2 file I have, there, a serial number can be found in the (propreitary) makernotes. It's not (yet) decoded by PM though so that's not much help at the moment.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline brettwilhelm

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 01:08:00 PM »
In further testing, I think I found the issues.  The photographer was originally shooting DNG + JPEG.  Leica embeds the serial in the DNG, but I don't see the serial embedded (or at least readable) in the JPEG.  PM appears to be prioritizing the JPEG on the serial read for code replacement, so when viewing "pairs", it was showing blank.  However, when the photographer set the camera to shoot DNG only, the serial read / code replacement appears to work normally.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 02:07:36 AM »
I only had a jpg to play with and there is definitely a serial number there, it is just not read by PM at the moment. Are you saying PM does read it from the DNG? It is possible that in the DNG the serial number is stored in a different place, which is recognised by PM. Can you share a sample with me so I can have a look?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl