Author Topic: Errors during applying IPTC information  (Read 16209 times)

Offline kclaar

• View Profile
Re: Errors during applying IPTC information
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2019, 03:55:13 PM »
I now have 12 images that are marked read only in PM+, not marked read only in Windows, and get an error message when I attempt to use PM+ to move or copy them to another folder.

Error message and log file attached.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2019, 10:57:58 PM »
Ken, so if I understand you correctly, you are saying it is PM that marks the file as read only?

This means we have two issues. The first one being that PM allows updating read only image files as I reported in my earlier post, but there is an additional issue in that PM marks files as read only when it shouldn't. This latter issue I have not been able to reproduce (I'm on a Mac though, not Windows).

Additional finding: I never get the Read-Only marker, even if the file is read only. Is that a Windows-only thing?

(@Kirk, I just verified, updating a Read-Only file was already possible in PM5 so this is an “old” bug)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline kclaar

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2019, 07:24:05 AM »
Hayo,

I agree there are two issues. From what I saw happening, there is something in PM. The files were never flagged as read only in Windows. I checked by using file explorer and displaying the file attributes, and also by going back to the old DOS prompt and using the attrib command. Neither showed any read only files.

PM also got to the point where I had 12 files marked read only in PM, but not Windows. I could not do anything with those files - the green dot went away, PM would not copy or move them, and PM would not delete them. In Windows, I was able to move them to another folder, but the catalog did not release them. When I added them back in, I had an image count of 12 more images than I have.

I then tried to delete the catalog through Manage Catalog, and that ran for about 15 minutes (7100 images) and still hadn't completed. I used Windows to delete the PM catalog folder, let PM recreate the folder, used Manage Catalogs to forget the catalog, and re-created it. The loading and indexing went fine.

There is some condition, and it may be a timing issue, where PM thinks the file is read only. I say this based on how I saw PM behaving. Before it locked those 12 files up, I would get a read only condition in the IPTC panel, use the navigation arrows to move either forward one image or back one image (both worked) and then return to the image that gave the read only notification, and upon return, the read only was gone and I could edit the IPTC panel.

Hope this helps!

-- kc

Offline kclaar

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2019, 08:38:32 AM »
Kirk and Hayo,

Still running into the issue, but with the new beta, the error message dialog now contains a Retry button. It is a great workaround, and I am no longer losing data.

With that in place, and the new detailed error message, it appears that it is always the first file in a batch that causes the error, and only after (here's a technical term) a lot of file activity, like restructuring keywords. Upon retry, it sails through with no issues.

Not sure that this was an intended workaround for this issue, but it works just fine, and thank you for that.

-- Ken

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2019, 09:16:11 AM »
Ken,

Still running into the issue, but with the new beta, the error message dialog now contains a Retry button. It is a great workaround, and I am no longer losing data.

With that in place, and the new detailed error message, it appears that it is always the first file in a batch that causes the error, and only after (here's a technical term) a lot of file activity, like restructuring keywords. Upon retry, it sails through with no issues.

Not sure that this was an intended workaround for this issue, but it works just fine, and thank you for that.

It should always have had the retry option but didn't.  I find it odd that PM can't update a file on its first attempt but can do so a little while later.  It's not like PM does anything different the second time (that would be quite a trick) through.

-Kirk