Author Topic: Just starting out - IPTC , NEF question  (Read 25495 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Just starting out - IPTC , NEF question
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 01:19:41 PM »
Kirk - I've done some testing with xmp files and nef files. My workflow is:
1. ingest the nefs with pm using the setting you gave me and create .xmp files in the same directory that the nef reside.
2. use nx to generate batches of jpgs fot a different directory.
3. use the update iptx/xmp tool to update the jpg from the nef/xmp file.

Question: now that I have the nef and jpg in seperate directories (my test had them in the same dir) how do you run the update if they are not in the same?

Open the folder full of NEFs as a Contact Sheet.  Then open the folder of JPEGs into the same contact sheet.  The two sets of files should join up and become one thumbnail.  Then you can Update IPTC/XMP.

You can use the Navigator menu item "Open in current Contact Sheet" for the second folder (in my example, it's the JPEGs folder.)

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline davidkl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 01:39:07 PM »
Thanks. worked. So when you open 2 contact sheets you only end up seeing the files that have the same name in both? I had 100 nef in 1 dir and 1 jpg in another , opend the nef, then opened the jpg and only saw the jpg.  Is the lst open directory the active one? I would think so.

Offline dogear

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 08:52:26 AM »
What are the recommended settings for users of both NX and ACR/Bridge? I switch back and forth, depending on file volume, importance, etc.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 09:09:42 AM »
What are the recommended settings for users of both NX and ACR/Bridge? I switch back and forth, depending on file volume, importance, etc.

It kind of depends on whether or not you'll be updating metadata in NX or not.  If you're not and you'd only do that in Bridge, then...

When reading:
Read XMP Sidecar first, Read Embedded IPTC second, Read embedded XMP third

When writing:
Embed only IPTC in your RAW files, and have it always create and/or update XMP sidecar files.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline davidkl

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 09:26:33 PM »
Hi Kirk -
so if I'm only using fields that NX know about (which excludes all the sidecar fields), then ingest with those fields populated and don't worry about generating sidecars and reading them, correct?   Kinda makes the management of this process a lot easier...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 09:53:33 PM »
so if I'm only using fields that NX know about (which excludes all the sidecar fields), then ingest with those fields populated and don't worry about generating sidecars and reading them, correct?   Kinda makes the management of this process a lot easier...

Right.  If you're not using Bridge along with Capture NX and PM, then IPTC is the way to go.

-Kirk

Offline davidkl

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 06:59:50 AM »
when you say iptc is the way to go you mean skip the stuff that goes in the xmp sidecar?  I'm using NX and Iview.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2007, 07:10:35 AM »
when you say iptc is the way to go you mean skip the stuff that goes in the xmp sidecar?  I'm using NX and Iview.

The following settings are best for Capture NX, and if you really don't want to use the XMP-only fields in the IPTC dialogs, then you can even turn off automatic creation of XMP sidecar files. (Change the popup menu from "Always create and/or update XMP sidecar file with IPTC4XMP" to either of the other two options.)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 07:13:44 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline davidkl

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2007, 02:18:20 PM »
Thanks, another question - I really like PM compared to Lightroom (I'm evaluating both) but one thing LR does well is the ability to compare more than 2 pics at once (nice to see a set of 4-5 shots that are similiar then zoom in). Anyway to do something along those lines?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 06:22:07 PM »
Thanks, another question - I really like PM compared to Lightroom (I'm evaluating both) but one thing LR does well is the ability to compare more than 2 pics at once (nice to see a set of 4-5 shots that are similiar then zoom in). Anyway to do something along those lines?

Not currently, no.

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2007, 06:55:42 AM »

Not currently, no.

-Kirk

I dunno, try this...
You could tag the ones you want to compare, view only tagged and blow up the thumbnails or you could select the ones you want to compare and go to the preview window and view only selected with the zoom on.

To me Lightroom is a different program. We use PM to ingest, caption and edit and LR to process.
Marc