Author Topic: PM6 crashes  (Read 6496 times)

Offline msturk

• View Profile
PM6 crashes
« on: September 10, 2019, 08:58:47 AM »
MacBook Pro 2014 SSD 16GB RAM
Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 3558 (afa5073)
Mojave 10.14.6

I've been having problems editing photos where I have a series of NEF+JPEGS that I'm scrolling through and deleting the NEFS if the JPEGS look good since the end result must be JPEG. Anyway as I'm deleting, I get the spinning beachball and Photo Mechanic (not responding) message when I go to Force Quit. At force I thought this was an external drive problem only but it's happening on the laptop as well.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM6 crashes
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 09:04:29 AM »
Mike,

MacBook Pro 2014 SSD 16GB RAM
Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 3558 (afa5073)
Mojave 10.14.6

I've been having problems editing photos where I have a series of NEF+JPEGS that I'm scrolling through and deleting the NEFS if the JPEGS look good since the end result must be JPEG. Anyway as I'm deleting, I get the spinning beachball and Photo Mechanic (not responding) message when I go to Force Quit. At force I thought this was an external drive problem only but it's happening on the laptop as well.

For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2800 option 2

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

Offline msturk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 03:09:16 PM »
Made the call(s). All good now. Thanks.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 03:11:23 PM »
I experience the same beach ball freeze regularly on OSX 10.12.6 (16G2128) with Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 3558 (afa5073).

I guess I also should contact support, right?
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 03:32:49 PM »
I experience the same beach ball freeze regularly on OSX 10.12.6 (16G2128) with Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 3558 (afa5073).

I guess I also should contact support, right?

The forums are not very useful for troubleshooting problems.  The turnaround time for communication is just too long.

Yes, please contact support.  In addition, if the Photo Mechanic crash reporter appears, please do file those crash reports.  They're very valuable and useful for us.

-Kirk

Offline msturk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 07:47:32 AM »
Same thing happened again simply by deleting several images consecutively. I will call support.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 08:18:45 AM »
Mike,

Same thing happened again simply by deleting several images consecutively. I will call support.

Please also file crash reports.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline J.A.S.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 03:19:47 AM »
In the last month or so I'm also getting frequent crashes when quickly deleting images consecutively. PM6 locks up and the spinning ball appears. Only solution is to force quit.
If you wait a second or two between deletes, then PM6 does not crash.

Running: OSX Mojave 10.14.5 with PM6 Build 3558 (afa5073)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 07:41:17 AM »
In the last month or so I'm also getting frequent crashes when quickly deleting images consecutively. PM6 locks up and the spinning ball appears. Only solution is to force quit.
If you wait a second or two between deletes, then PM6 does not crash.

Running: OSX Mojave 10.14.5 with PM6 Build 3558 (afa5073)

Try turning off the "Play move to Trash sound" option in the Files page of the Preferences dialog.  And please file crash reports, they really do help us.

-Kirk

Offline J.A.S.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 08:13:47 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Wow - That was simple fix !

Turned off the "Play move to Trash sound" like you suggested and the problem is solved.

Thanks for sorting so quickly.

Regarding the crash reports..... When I force quit, I get a system message asking if I want to send a report to Apple. Is that what you are referring to? Hadn't bothered sending those as I assumed that Apple would not pass them on to you and they would have little interest in helping sort out any issues. Or is there crash reporting built in PM6 that I need to turn on ?

Thanks again,

John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 09:10:49 AM »
John,

Regarding the crash reports..... When I force quit, I get a system message asking if I want to send a report to Apple. Is that what you are referring to? Hadn't bothered sending those as I assumed that Apple would not pass them on to you and they would have little interest in helping sort out any issues. Or is there crash reporting built in PM6 that I need to turn on ?

There is built-in crash reporting in PM6.  It will appear on the next launch of PM6 after a crash.  No need to file the Apple reports (they don't get to us at all.)

-Kirk

Offline zhpenn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 06:49:11 PM »
Actually, I feel PM 6 is way more unstable than PM 5, PM 6 spinning ball a lot, and sometimes I do rating filter there is no progress bar and will freeze, also PM 6 thumbnail and preview will not show and flashing sometimes.

I have both PM 6 and PM5 installed

but PM5 will always have a progress bar or some time will freeze a bit, but at least I know it is not crashing, I know to wait a bit will be ok, but pm6 is different, I'm not sure it is really crashed or just need to wait.

I'm not sure whether I upgrade to Catalina will help PM 6 works better?
Meanwhile I'm also afraid to upgrade the MAC OS, because I use PM a lot. If I upgrade to Catalina, I can not use PM 5 anymore.

I'm using PM6 3558, and MacPro-2013, Mojave updated version

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 09:11:42 PM »
Meanwhile I'm also afraid to upgrade the MAC OS, because I use PM a lot. If I upgrade to Catalina, I can not use PM 5 anymore.

I do not recommend upgrading to Catalina until it has had at least three major updates.

-Kirk

Offline zhpenn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2019, 02:54:19 AM »

I do not recommend upgrading to Catalina until it has had at least three major updates.

-Kirk

Thanks a lot for your advice Kirk, I hope PM 6 will get as stable as PM 5 in the future update soon, I'm a heavy user and go 2 licenses for all my studio macs, and my partner got 2 extra for his home and 2nd office macs. but now we only upgrade one liscenses because the stablility, we are still waiting for a stable version to upgrade all. I hope the day will come soon, thanks a lot.

Offline msturk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2019, 09:07:44 AM »
Turning off the Trash sound did the trick. Did a big edit with lots of consecutive images trashed with no problem. Thanks.

Now I have another problem. Had to press a Nikon D500 into service last night and for some reason while the tagged image symbol showed up on the camera's display the sound icon did not appear with the images in PM. On the same shoot I used a D4S and no problem All JPEGS.