Author Topic: Where do I find copyright info after PM  (Read 3639 times)

Offline nilsdecker

• Newcomer
  • Founder of www.safetynames.com + photo enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Webhosting, Domains, SSLs and more
Where do I find copyright info after PM
« on: September 22, 2019, 06:38:02 AM »
This might be a very silly question, but after ingesting photos through PM and adding copyright info, where exactly is that information stored? When I hit "command + i" on my Mac I would expect to see it there, but it is not visible there.

Many thanks!
@nils_decker on the gram
www.nilsdecker.com for my imagery
www.safetynames.com for what I'm trying to build

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Where do I find copyright info after PM
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 12:57:21 PM »
Nils,

This might be a very silly question, but after ingesting photos through PM and adding copyright info, where exactly is that information stored? When I hit "command + i" on my Mac I would expect to see it there, but it is not visible there.

You'd have better luck seeing your metadata from the Preview app on your Mac than the Finder's Get Info window.

Where is the data stored?  It depends on the file format.  On TIFFs, JPEGs, PSDs, PNGs, etc. (non-RAW files) the metadata is stored within the image file itself in either IPTC or XMP format (or both).  Some of the metadata is in the EXIF metadata within those files.  For RAW files, the metadata is either stored in XMP within the RAW file or in an XMP sidecar file (a file ending in .XMP that has the same base name as the image.)

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Where do I find copyright info after PM
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 09:50:57 AM »
Also, I will add that if you meant that you were hitting 'command-i' in Photo Mechanic, that will open the Metadata Template -- which is where you would enter info that you want to apply to the photos, not to see what has already been added. To see the metadata in Photo Mechanic just press 'i' and you will see the Metadata Info for that specific photo.

You can also customize the Preview window to show that field, too. If you go to Edit > Settings > Set Info Text, you can add/change/delete what is shown in the preview window.  In my Info Text (below) I've added Copyright: {copy} as a line, and that way I can see it very quickly in the Preview Window.

Hope that helps

-Mick 
Mick O
Camera Bits