Author Topic: Clear GPS fields  (Read 6244 times)

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
    • Keith & Vlasta Ross-Jones
Clear GPS fields
« on: October 01, 2019, 06:07:49 PM »
As there is a function to set the GPS fields then I would like to be able to clear then too.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Clear GPS fields
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 07:04:45 PM »
Keith,

As there is a function to set the GPS fields then I would like to be able to clear then too.

In which dialog would you want to clear the GPS fields?

-Kirk

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 01:28:45 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I think the Set GPS Coordinates dialog would be a good place.  A simple "Clear" button would do and then you could simply hit Apply and you are done.

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 07:26:02 AM »
Keith,

I think the Set GPS Coordinates dialog would be a good place.  A simple "Clear" button would do and then you could simply hit Apply and you are done.

OK, but what does Clear mean in this context?  Do you want the GPS data stripped?  Or do you want the two coordinates to be zeroed out but present in the file?

-Kirk

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 07:35:48 PM »
I would like to see all GPS data stripped.  The user can always add GPS data again if required.

Many thanks.

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 04:17:07 AM »
I agree that the ability to strip gps data would be useful in some circumstances.

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 05:07:12 AM »
I am coming late to this conversation (new via beta testing)...

+1 for the ability to strip GPS data from the image (I would expect clearing/zeroing out the values, then clicking Apply would overwrite the GPS info on the original file, unless there is a separate "sync metadata to image" function).

But I have an additional question/request. I like to keep the GPS data with the original file for archival purposes but I would like the ability to selectively exclude GPS data from any variant images (e.g., another TIFF, a JPEG or HTML gallery). I don't see that option in either the Save Photo as... or Export... dialogs. Does that ability exist and I am just not seeing it?
-- Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 08:25:19 AM »
Mark,

I am coming late to this conversation (new via beta testing)...

+1 for the ability to strip GPS data from the image (I would expect clearing/zeroing out the values, then clicking Apply would overwrite the GPS info on the original file, unless there is a separate "sync metadata to image" function).

That would make it impossible to have 0, 0 as a GPS coordinate.

But I have an additional question/request. I like to keep the GPS data with the original file for archival purposes but I would like the ability to selectively exclude GPS data from any variant images (e.g., another TIFF, a JPEG or HTML gallery). I don't see that option in either the Save Photo as... or Export... dialogs. Does that ability exist and I am just not seeing it?

Short of omitting EXIF from the image, no.  It's an all or nothing thing right now.

-Kirk

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 09:01:40 AM »
Mark,

Ah, I don't mean literally insert zeros. (Maybe the phrase "zero out" is confusing the discussion.) I do mean strip out all GPS information, e.g., clear the fields. Isn't that technically possible?

Short of omitting EXIF from the image, no.  It's an all or nothing thing right now.

Ah, okay. I think Media Pro treats GPS/EXIF together too. Good enough for now. If I can come up with a use case for just excluding GPS, I'll file a separate feature request.
-- Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 10:11:17 AM »
Mark,

Ah, I don't mean literally insert zeros. (Maybe the phrase "zero out" is confusing the discussion.) I do mean strip out all GPS information, e.g., clear the fields. Isn't that technically possible?

Stripping out the GPS tags from the EXIF data is certainly possible.  We have a tool on the Tools menu (Delete Metadata) where we would likely add a checkbox for "GPS metadata" and we would direct you to use that tool instead.

-Kirk

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 08:33:39 PM »
Using the Delete Metadata Tools menu would be fine.  However or wherever you provide the function does not matter much to me  :)