Author Topic: Labels not showing & strange behaviour during fast pacing through photos in PM6  (Read 1740 times)

Offline DizzyReed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
hi,

in the past few days I discovered two problems.

1) labels - I have set the general Contact Sheet so that under the thumbnail, a photo's filename, cropped resolution and caption is shown. the problem is, that after adding caption via Stationary Pad (CMD+i shortcut) the caption line stays blank. If I use the "single photo metadata editor", ("i" shortcut), caption is visible immediately. this causes some problems in my workflow ... if I change color class the iptc finally apears.
I am attaching a printscreen where this problem can be seen, purple color class photo has caption applied, but is not visible in the third line, the green color class photo shows the caption as I have set it to show.

2) when going through selection of photos rather quickly in Preview, sometimes a lag appears - I stop pressing the "Right" button and the images still go forward a few frames, if you understand me ...

system I am using is Macbook Pro 13 Late 2017, macOS Mojave 10.14.6 and Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 3558 (afa5073)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
1) labels - I have set the general Contact Sheet so that under the thumbnail, a photo's filename, cropped resolution and caption is shown. the problem is, that after adding caption via Stationary Pad (CMD+i shortcut) the caption line stays blank. If I use the "single photo metadata editor", ("i" shortcut), caption is visible immediately. this causes some problems in my workflow ... if I change color class the iptc finally apears.
I am attaching a printscreen where this problem can be seen, purple color class photo has caption applied, but is not visible in the third line, the green color class photo shows the caption as I have set it to show.

This will be fixed in the next build of PM6.

2) when going through selection of photos rather quickly in Preview, sometimes a lag appears - I stop pressing the "Right" button and the images still go forward a few frames, if you understand me ...

Could you please post screenshots of your Preferences pages, including "Contact Sheet", "Preview", "Caching", and "Render Cache"?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshots.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline DizzyReed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi Kirk,

thanks for the help, here are the print screens you asked for. Hope these will be helpful! Let me know if you need anything else. :)

If I can add - I've been using these settings on previous MacBook Pro with PM5, on this MacBook Pro with PM5, never any similar problems.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Dizzy,

You could try changing your default sorting method to Filename and see if that makes any difference (temporarily, for the purposes of diagnosing the problem).  It may be that Capture Time sorting in the background when finished causes a final sort to happen while you're browsing in the Preview window, causing the lag.  Does the lag happen frequently or only once per contact sheet that you open and then browse in the Preview window?

Also, I noticed that you're using a Retina display but you have PM set to use "Standard (fastest)" settings for thumbnails and previews.  While there is a trade-off in speed/size by going to "Best (uses more memory)", the image quality improvement is significant.

-Kirk

Offline DizzyReed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
hi Kirk,

the problem appeared randomly, but tried to recreate the problem over the weekend and haven't encountered the mentioned problem ... or, even better, maybe the problem is gone. :)

I will give your suggestion a try in regard to preview settings.

thanks for now, should the problem occur again I will let you know.