Author Topic: Zoom issue  (Read 7485 times)

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
Zoom issue
« on: November 01, 2019, 02:42:57 PM »
There's a problem using the zoom on RAW files, when I zoom the image turns smaller.

[Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 3889 (6e9c549) on macOS Catalina 10.15.1]

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Zoom issue
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 06:09:29 AM »
Your image is smaller than the screen size. When you zoom it goes to 100% but when you don’t zoom it is stretched to fill the screen. At the top of the screen you can see it was stretched to 128%
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 07:08:59 AM »
Right! So, I've a 13" MacBook Pro with native display resolution at 1440x900 but I'm using it at scaled resolution (More Space option) 1680x1050. There's a way to fix this problem with the visualisation in PM?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 07:54:42 AM »
Right! So, I've a 13" MacBook Pro with native display resolution at 1440x900 but I'm using it at scaled resolution (More Space option) 1680x1050. There's a way to fix this problem with the visualisation in PM?

You'll need to zoom to 200% or higher if you want to have a preview large enough to pan around.  Your image is of lower resolution than the preview pane.  100% pixels are 100% pixels.

-Kirk

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 09:37:05 AM »
I tried to use the native display resolution (1440x900) and I have the same issue. I remember that at this resolution I hadn't this kind of problem using PM5.
I understand that it's a preview from a .JPG but I don't remember this issue using PM5. How can I see the RAW at 100% to check if it is in focus?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 12:06:08 PM »
Your second photo is displayed at 100%.  Your zoom is 1x and you can see in the titlebar that the image is displayed at 100%.

-Kirk

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 01:28:53 PM »
Thank you!

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 02:18:53 PM »
Thank you!

I'm sorry Kirk, I watched a video on YouTube and I'm a bit confused. As you can see in the screenshots attached, the preview of the pictures is at 20%, than with the zoom at 100% is visible the picture at 1:1 (right?). Why my picture are visualised at 103% (not the 1:1 because the pic is smaller than the real size) and when I use the zoom function it turns 100%, obviously even smaller?

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 03:17:58 PM »
I opened a RAW on my 21,5-inch iMac and the preview is at 59%, then the zoom at 100% shows me the photograph at 1:1. There's something wrong on my 13-inch MacBook Pro...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 09:36:53 PM »
I opened a RAW on my 21,5-inch iMac and the preview is at 59%, then the zoom at 100% shows me the photograph at 1:1. There's something wrong on my 13-inch MacBook Pro...

The preview embedded in the NEF in your example has a higher resolution than the display.  The Sony ARW files have only a small preview in them.

-Kirk

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 09:44:06 PM »

The preview embedded in the NEF in your example has a higher resolution than the display.  The Sony ARW files have only a small preview in them.

-Kirk

I’m sorry Kirk but my files are RAF from Fuji and I hadn’t this issue before on my computers. I still don’t have this issue on my iMac but I’m having this problem only on the MacBook Pro.
Please, help me.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 10:00:56 PM »

I’m sorry Kirk but my files are RAF from Fuji and I hadn’t this issue before on my computers. I still don’t have this issue on my iMac but I’m having this problem only on the MacBook Pro.
Please, help me.

Fuji RAF files also have a low resolution preview in them.  If you want that blocky image that PM5 produced in your example picture on your MacBook pro, set the zoom factor to 2x in PM6.  They should look similar.

-Kirk

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 10:07:21 PM »

Please, help me.

Fuji RAF files also have a low resolution preview in them.  If you want that blocky image that PM5 produced in your example picture on your MacBook pro, set the zoom factor to 2x in PM6.  They should look similar.

-Kirk

Sure Kirk, but it will be similar and not 1:1 when is zoomed. However I don’t understand why with RAF on my iMac I haven’t this problem. If it’s a limitation of the RAF files I should have the same problem also on my iMac.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 10:28:57 PM »

Please, help me.

Sure Kirk, but it will be similar and not 1:1 when is zoomed. However I don’t understand why with RAF on my iMac I haven’t this problem. If it’s a limitation of the RAF files I should have the same problem also on my iMac.

Does your iMac have a Retina display?  I expect that it does not.  So the pixels are much larger than on your MacBook Pro which does have a Retina display.

-Kirk

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2019, 02:21:32 AM »

Please, help me.

Does your iMac have a Retina display?  I expect that it does not.  So the pixels are much larger than on your MacBook Pro which does have a Retina display.

-Kirk

Ok Kirk now it's clear, the only thing I can do is to set the zoom factor to 2x.

Thank you again!