Author Topic: Date issue for video file  (Read 2495 times)

Offline hermanxmz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Date issue for video file
« on: October 04, 2019, 08:12:35 PM »
Photo Mechanic 6.0 Build 3558 (afa5073)
Sony A6500, iPhone 6s, Asus Zenfone 5
When ingesting video file, I want to put the file in a folder with folder name indicating the date when the video was captured. Unlike still photo e.g. jpg, there is no embedded metadata in the video file indicating this information. Under this situation, I found PM 6 uses the file creation date for the purpose. It is not a usable choice because the file creation date is always changed to the latest date when copying is performed. The file modification date is a more usable choice because video file is rarely modified and hence the date remains unchanged after copying.  I found the problem was reported in forums.camerabits.com in year 2014.  Now in year 2019, may I know is there any solution implied since then for this common use case? The most easy solution is during ingestion, to let user filter files by file type e.g. jpg, tiff, arw, mp4, mts etc.  Then, user can create a separate ingestion snapshot specific for video file types or other still photo file types which has no embedded metadata of capture date.  The separate ingestion snapshot can use the file modification date variable to specify the folder name structure.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Date issue for video file
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 09:16:48 PM »
Photo Mechanic 6.0 Build 3558 (afa5073)
Sony A6500, iPhone 6s, Asus Zenfone 5
When ingesting video file, I want to put the file in a folder with folder name indicating the date when the video was captured. Unlike still photo e.g. jpg, there is no embedded metadata in the video file indicating this information. Under this situation, I found PM 6 uses the file creation date for the purpose. It is not a usable choice because the file creation date is always changed to the latest date when copying is performed. The file modification date is a more usable choice because video file is rarely modified and hence the date remains unchanged after copying.  I found the problem was reported in forums.camerabits.com in year 2014.  Now in year 2019, may I know is there any solution implied since then for this common use case?

No, we currently have no solution for this issue.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 10:36:26 PM »
As Kirk already said, this isn't currently possible like you describe. As a work-around, you could make use of PM's variables and name the folder based on that. This is extremely powerful and does allow using the file modification time.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline karlmz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 12:11:42 PM »
It would be interesting to know why it is not possible to extract the capture time from videos during ingest. The information is there. I now have to use another program, geosetter, to find the capture time and manually change {date} and {time}. Will there be a solution to this problem?

Karl

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 12:55:39 PM »
Karl, can you send me an example video file I can analyse?
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline karlmz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 01:21:54 AM »
Hayo, I FTP:d a video clip, including EXIF data and the Info seen in the PM Preview window. File name 20191005.7z

Camera is Sony A7M3, file format XAVC S HD
PM6, build 3558
Windows 10 Pro

Karl

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 01:26:59 PM »
Hi Karl,

I guess you mean the Camerabits ftp? If so I can’t access it, could you share it with me otherwise e.g. via wetransfer?
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 07:12:31 AM »
@Kirk, I got a sample file from Karl and it looks like there might be a bug in the Windows version of PM6. On my Mac, I get the correct creation date for the file (as read from the movie metadata), but on his Windows version, Karl doesn't…
Hayo Baan - Photography