Author Topic: A catalog incongruities ?  (Read 5019 times)

Offline JCamborde

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
A catalog incongruities ?
« on: October 07, 2019, 02:21:00 AM »
I'm totally lose in the files that PM6+ is referencing.
In that image, you can see what I consider as incongruities.

First it was a veritable catalog with files from different folders. But, with some files not in the catalog, I decided to put all them together in the same folder (like a simple sheet). And here is the result. I can't understand how it's possible.

If I do a simple sheet, all is OK. Logical

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: A catalog incongruities ?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 04:34:10 AM »
First of all you are comparing two incomparable numbers: the items in a catalog (the number as reported on the Catalog Management dialog) can be at different file locations so do not necessarily represent a single folder.

First it was a veritable catalog with files from different folders. But, with some files not in the catalog, I decided to put all them together in the same folder (like a simple sheet). And here is the result. I can't understand how it's possible.

I don't understand what you are saying here. If you moved files into the folder /Volumes/iMac HD***/Photomechanic Catalog files/TNF SEL multiple then you've done something that will cause trouble as that folder is NOT meant for regular files; it's where PM stores the files with the catalog information. In other words, you should never touch the content of this directory!

What directory is being shown by the contact sheet you have open? Does it include the images from its subdirectories? If it's the catalog directory /Volumes/iMac HD***/Photomechanic Catalog files/TNF SEL multiple then I'm not surprised you see strange file numbers; that directory contains the PM catalog info and files…
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 09:19:11 AM »
I'm totally lose in the files that PM6+ is referencing.
In that image, you can see what I consider as incongruities.

Did you move your images into your catalog folder?

-Kirk

Offline JCamborde

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 02:21:42 AM »
No, I didn't.
I've only moved images of the folders I've linked to make part of this catalog, via the finder because the copy function of PM6+ didn't functioned. When problems occurs, I moved all the images (via finder) of all these folders in one of them. And that is what I get.
Do you need more precisions?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 03:49:15 AM »
I still don't completely follow what you are saying, but I think I get it.

From the screenshot you posted the catalog is stored n the folder /Volumes/iMac HD***/Photomechanic Catalog files/TNF SEL Multiple (are there really *s in the name?).
This is not where you moved your files, but you did move files to other folders (folders that contain files that are part of your catalog). Is this correct?

So far so good, and this is all fine for PM as well. The only thing you need to understand is that PM won't automatically add the moved files to the catalog (you need to run “scan to catalog” for that).

So I guess that leaves us with the discrepancy between what Finder shows and what PM shows as file count. If you open the exact same folder in Finder and in PM (without opening the subfolders!), what do you see? Please post a screenshot of both.

PS. What did you mean with “the copy function of PM6+ didn't functioned”, PM's Copy (or move) command should work just fine (does for me)?
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline JCamborde

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 09:04:35 AM »
From the screenshot you posted the catalog is stored in the folder /Volumes/iMac HD***/Photomechanic Catalog files/TNF SEL Multiple (are there really *s in the name?).
This is not where you moved your files, but you did move files to other folders (folders that contain files that are part of your catalog). Is this correct?

Perfectly correct .    Yes the *** are in the name oh that hard disk. ;~)

So far so good, and this is all fine for PM as well. The only thing you need to understand is that PM won't automatically add the moved files to the catalog (you need to run “scan to catalog” for that).

In fact, I've done "re-indexing catalogue" but not "Scan to catalog". I just do it now: the same! (with a single folder linked with the catalog)

PS. What did you mean with “the copy function of PM6+ didn't functioned”, PM's Copy (or move) command should work just fine (does for me)?

I've selected 4 files in a sheet and on the right click menu, I selected "include in the catalog" (no menu) and I never found them in the catalog. If I select "copy photo" then I've a menu and I indicate where I want my photo been copied. Then, it's alright.

Here are the screen captures.

Can I do something more?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 07:38:51 AM »
Right, I think I see what's going on.

The first screenshot is from the root of the drive called "TNF SEL Multiple", it contains 242 file, correct?
The second screenshot is from a directory called "TNF SEL Multiple" inside the directory where you placed your PM+ catalog, it contains 607 files/directories, correct?
The directory from the second screenshot is where you copied your image files to place them inside the catalog. Still correct?

If I'm still following you it means that basically my analysis in my first reply was correct: you copied image files to where PM+'s catalog is stored. You shouldn't do this for a couple of reasons. First of all, PM+ doesn't care where your images are placed, it's happy to have them in the root of the drive "TNF SEL Multiple" so creating a copy of them is wholly unnecessary. Placing them inside the catalog folder has another disadvantage: it could create conflicts with PM+'s working of the catalog.

To solve this is not too hard:
1) Remove the image copies from the PM catalog directory (location shown in the second screenshot)
2) Tell PM+ to perform a "Scan to Catalog" on the "TNF SEL Multiple" drive (location shown in first screenshot). Make sure you select the catalog to add the image to (OM+ allows working with multiple catalogs all at the same time, each time you choose which catalog(s) is used for searching or adding to).

When that is done, PM+ will show you all your images, also in the catalog.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Cheers,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline JCamborde

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 10:12:03 AM »
Thank you Hayo.

My replies:
The first screenshot is from the root of the drive called "TNF SEL Multiple", it contains 242 file, correct?
Correct but not really at the root drive: it's an HDisk ( iMac HD***) in my iMac where the system is on an SSD. And the file "TNF SEL Multiple" is relatively deep into the folders tree, at the fith level in the tree of that HD.

The second screenshot is from a directory called "TNF SEL Multiple" inside the directory where you placed your PM+ catalog, it contains 607 files/directories, correct? The directory from the second screenshot is where you copied your image files to place them inside the catalog. Still correct?
Correct, it's the catalog folder of PM6+ I've never touched via the finder. It's PM6+ that had built it. I've never move any file in the catalog folder which is located on the same HD iMac***, but more close to the root (second level of the tree).
I'm just switching from Media pro and I know that, if I can manually move files via the finder from a folder to another, I never be allowed to modify the Media pro folder (there are not catalogs but it's certainly the same).

I believe your way to correct my catalog is the right one, and I'll do as you advocate it. Thank you anew.
My problem is more that it seems to me that PM6+ had corrupted his data bank and so that it could happen anew. This catalog is simple, so built it anew is not a real problem. But with a larger catalog, rebuilding it would take largely more time.
But I'm still in confidence with PM6+   ;~)

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 07:03:59 AM »
Thank you Hayo.

My replies:
Correct but not really at the root drive: it's an HDisk ( iMac HD***) in my iMac where the system is on an SSD. And the file "TNF SEL Multiple" is relatively deep into the folders tree, at the fith level in the tree of that HD.

Yes, sorry, you're right, but that doesn't matter for the rest.

The second screenshot is from a directory called "TNF SEL Multiple" inside the directory where you placed your PM+ catalog, it contains 607 files/directories, correct? The directory from the second screenshot is where you copied your image files to place them inside the catalog. Still correct?
Correct, it's the catalog folder of PM6+ I've never touched via the finder. It's PM6+ that had built it. I've never move any file in the catalog folder which is located on the same HD iMac***, but more close to the root (second level of the tree).
I'm just switching from Media pro and I know that, if I can manually move files via the finder from a folder to another, I never be allowed to modify the Media pro folder (there are not catalogs but it's certainly the same).

Good, then you should really remove the images you copied there since they don't belong there; just as with media pro you shouldn't touch what's inside the PM+ catalog folders :)

I believe your way to correct my catalog is the right one, and I'll do as you advocate it. Thank you anew.
My problem is more that it seems to me that PM6+ had corrupted his data bank and so that it could happen anew. This catalog is simple, so built it anew is not a real problem. But with a larger catalog, rebuilding it would take largely more time.
But I'm still in confidence with PM6+   ;~)

Though it could have happened that the PM+ catalog got damaged, I don't think that is the case here, from your first post I conclude there are no database issues (the re-indexing didn't report any issue). I think it is just a matter of understanding how the PM+ catalogs work. Which, especially due to the fact PM+ supports multiple catalogs at the same time, can be a bit hard (heck, even I – quite experienced user and very early beta tester – had to get to grips with some of the fundamental concepts used in PM+ before I understood everything).
Hayo Baan - Photography