Author Topic: Classic IPTC, again  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Ben Curtis

• View Profile
    • Snappertalk blog
Classic IPTC, again
« on: October 08, 2019, 04:02:28 AM »
Hi,

Moved to the new version and missing Classic IPTC dialogs. I know the situation with Classic IPTC's deprecation, have been following it for a while, and watched your video here which gave me some hope:

https://www.facebook.com/photomechanic1/videos/622483464831257/

But the method you show in this video only works for Metadata Template dialog. In Metadata Info dialog it seems you cannot have IPTC fields on the left and right side, you MUST have all fields on the left, and an image preview on the right. Is that right or am I wrong? I am wondering why....

I use Metadata Info for all captioning except batch captioning, because it has the left/right arrow to move between pictures, whereas Metadata Template does not, and is more suited to batch captioning. But I don't want all my fields in one long list, I want them on left and right sides.

Is there any way to do this please? Thanks in advance.....

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Classic IPTC, again
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 05:33:13 AM »
No, the Metadata (Info) dialog only offers fields in a single column on the left side of the window.

-Kirk

Offline Ben Curtis

• View Profile
    • Snappertalk blog
Re: Classic IPTC, again
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 06:33:28 AM »
With the greatest of respect, I find it extremely annoying. Long lists of fields all in a vertical row are not conducive to rapidly identifying if there is a particular field missing, or to locating a particular field, compared to when things are spread around.

See attachments:

Classic IPTC: I get all the fields I need, in familiar locations, with a thumbnail sufficient to identify which picture it is but not too large to waste space, and left/right buttons.

Metadata Template: Can be shaped roughly into Classic style, but without any image thumbnail or navigation buttons

Metadata Info: Every field is all in one long list making it hard to go quickly to one or another, the top right is a preview larger than really necessary, and the bottom right has lots of wasted space. Additionally the dialog takes up almost all the vertical space of my Macbook 13" screen, whereas Classic took only the center.

I recognise that each person likes things differently, am not suggesting otherwise. But I don't understand the logic in having two completely different styles of IPTC dialogs for Metadata Info and Template, where one can have left/right and the other only all in one long list. Or at least each should be customisable in the same way. Fundamentally they look at the same type of information, even if used on different occasions (e.g. batch for Template).

Please consider allowing Metadata Info to be customisable in roughly the way Classic dialog was i.e. text fields on both left and right, with small thumbnail and navigation buttons. Thanks....