Author Topic: How to change gps data in images  (Read 3318 times)

Offline md789

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How to change gps data in images
« on: October 11, 2019, 10:39:48 AM »
How to change gps data in images?

I can see how to do it using the map and can change some wrong coordinates to the correct lat and long. However there is a further field in the gps menu that shows it is locked so is impossible to change so the file ends up with two different lots of gps info, one that is correct and can be further changed but another one that is wrong and can't be changed

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How to change gps data in images
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 11:09:38 AM »
How to change gps data in images?

I can see how to do it using the map and can change some wrong coordinates to the correct lat and long. However there is a further field in the gps menu that shows it is locked so is impossible to change so the file ends up with two different lots of gps info, one that is correct and can be further changed but another one that is wrong and can't be changed

I don't understand what you're describing.  Where is this "locked" item displayed?  Can you post a screenshot?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline md789

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 11:26:06 AM »
That is very strange, when I come to change things now I just get the map window and it puts the coordinates in. Previously there was a second window (now not shown) that would allow you to type the numbers in lat and long (or get them from the map) but there was a second gps field that was locked, perhaps I am going off my head and thinking of a different bit of software.

Offline md789

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 11:52:19 AM »
Is it possible to copy and paste gps data from one file to the other i.e. select one file then select the other and go to map and get the same data put in both.  I have tried this and it does not work.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 12:18:53 PM »
Is it possible to copy and paste gps data from one file to the other i.e. select one file then select the other and go to map and get the same data put in both.  I have tried this and it does not work.

Photo Mechanic does not offer the ability to copy/paste GPS coordinates from one photo to another.

-Kirk

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 04:12:34 AM »
...I can see how to do it using the map

I don't know why Kirk says PM has no function for this, but Set GPS Coordinates may work if you don't let the user interface confuse you :)

Make sure the contact sheet presents thumbnails in default sort order. Pick a first thumbnail to represent the start of  image sequence running in sort order. Set the GPS coordinates for that one image. Select the same thumbnail plus any number of following thumbnails, you may skip some, but do not select thumbnails that sort prior to the one you set the coordinates on. Right click the first image in the sequence and make sure the location indicator is where you want it for the other selected images. You may now use Apply to All (selected) or Apply to Remaining. Remaining apparently means images following (in default sort order) the one you picked as a reference. Remaining does not mean images except the reference. Apply to All overwrites the reference, but it does not matter if you do not change the coordinates  and want changes applied to remaning only.

And do not pay attention to the Hillsboro thing that may appear in the input field below the map. I never understood the rationale for the design of that part of the dialog. If PM knows the name of the marked location, that name could show in the input field. If PM does not know the name of the place, the Hillsboro name is worse than an empty field (for me, that is).

--
Odd S.

Offline md789

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 07:18:20 AM »
Thanks very much Odd Skjaeveland, that is exactly what I wanted to do and have just tried it and it works.

I know exactly what you mean about copying over other information that may not apply to any or all of the images.  I wanted to ask another question about this, is it possible to copy other items of metadata from one image to multiple images?

Looking down forum posts it seems it is possible but most of the questions seem from long ago and I think the interface has changed so the comments may not longer be relevant. 
For example if I know all the images were taken in France (but in different parts of that country), then I might want to fill in France for all images after I have already filled in some other bits of metadata. If I did the trick you mention above then is there a danger that all images will not only have France filled in but also other bits of metadata from the file you are copying from which will be wrong for some of the files.
I come from breezebrowser background and it is possible to copy bits of metadata between multiple files but you have to be very careful about it and sometimes it is safest to have a blank file with just the one bit of metadata you want to put into the other files i.e. just with France and no other metadata in the file.  i am not familiar with the photomechanic template which might overcome some these issues at the initial stage but not once you are dealing with older images from multiple sources.

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 02:21:10 PM »
...For example if I know all the images were taken in France (but in different parts of that country), then I might want to fill in France for all images after I have already filled in some other bits of metadata.

I would probably select the images and then use Image-> Metadata (IPTC) Template, put "France" in the appropriate field, make sure the field's check box is ticked and all other fields have their check box unticked, then click Apply Template to Selected. Note that the check box granularity is not equally good for all fields. The section "Event and Location" sports a check box for each field (City, Location,...,Country...), not so in "Locations Taken and Shown".

I would save the template as a snapshot (lightning bolt button) for things I do often.
--
Odd S.