Author Topic: applying metadata is modifying permissions  (Read 7726 times)

Offline annee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
applying metadata is modifying permissions
« on: October 17, 2019, 01:13:32 PM »
Using version 6.0, build 3558; Mac OS Mojave version 10.14.6,
files are on a shared server, OpenIndiana 5.11

All our files are stored on the shared server, I work directly off the server to add metadata to our visual assets.

I am adding metadata using either the stationary pad, structured keyword, or Keyword panel to raw and JPEG files. When I apply the metadata, an Error: Unable to save IPTC info. window pops up. I'll hit ok to close the window, the preview disappears and I no longer have read write access to the file. Attached are the "get info" panels from the two files in the folder, they should be identical but the Sharing & Permissions have been modified for the image I tried to add metadata to (no preview) Attached screen shots illustrate what happens along with my IPTC/XMP preferences.

Do you have any suggestions what I can do to fix this? Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: applying metadata is modifying permissions
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 04:30:09 PM »
Using version 6.0, build 3558; Mac OS Mojave version 10.14.6,
files are on a shared server, OpenIndiana 5.11

All our files are stored on the shared server, I work directly off the server to add metadata to our visual assets.

I am adding metadata using either the stationary pad, structured keyword, or Keyword panel to raw and JPEG files. When I apply the metadata, an Error: Unable to save IPTC info. window pops up. I'll hit ok to close the window, the preview disappears and I no longer have read write access to the file. Attached are the "get info" panels from the two files in the folder, they should be identical but the Sharing & Permissions have been modified for the image I tried to add metadata to (no preview) Attached screen shots illustrate what happens along with my IPTC/XMP preferences.

Do you have any suggestions what I can do to fix this? Thanks

What protocol is used to connect to the server from your macOS system?

-Kirk

Offline annee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 06:58:48 AM »
SMB

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 07:37:06 AM »
Could you post screenshots of the privileges before and after attempting to update metadata, please?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline annee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 09:31:55 AM »
Although these are not the same image, the permissions with the info panel showing a preview are the original permissions, the info panel trying to write a preview are the permissions after I try to save metadata to the file.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 09:59:48 AM »
Which of the listed users would you fall under?

-Kirk

Offline annee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 10:11:15 AM »
bgilbert

Offline annee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 10:35:00 AM »
To clarify, although the permissions state I have read & write permissions, I cannot open Sfc-03-04-3604-TS-01.NEF; I receive a Photoshop prompt "could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file." When trying to view in preview I get this prompt: The file “SFd-03-04-3604-TS-01.NEF” couldn’t be opened because you don’t have permission to view it. To view or change permissions, select the item in the Finder and choose File > Get Info."

Thanks for your help with this

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 10:51:50 AM »
Are you able to restore (copy) those permissions that the other image has?  I'm not suggesting that you should need to do this, I'm looking for more information/troubleshooting.

-Kirk

Offline annee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 10:53:03 AM »
I am not able to restore the permissions, I need to have our IT team restore the permissions for me.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 10:54:38 AM »
I am not able to restore the permissions, I need to have our IT team restore the permissions for me.

Wow.  That's really bad.  It sounds like your permissions are governed by more than the 'bgilbert' user.  Can you check with the IT department to see which permissions your login falls under?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline annee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 11:19:41 AM »
Unfortunately bgilbert has retired, and, I am working with IT as they set up the permission groups, but they are not familiar with Photomechanic, since it is used only in our communications office, not university wide. Bu,t as you can see by the attached screen shots I'm still getting this same issue regardless of whose id appears as owner.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 05:53:20 AM »
Looks like you have read & write permissions on the file so PM and any other program should be able to open it at least. You also have write access so you can also write that same file. So in theory you should be able to do what you want. However, unless I am mistaken (@Kirk, please correct me if I'm wrong), PM creates a temp file for the updates and the overwrites the original with that temp. This would mean you also need to have write access in the directory. Can you verify you actually have write access to the directory?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline annee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 09:38:05 AM »
Yes, I have full control with this server, which includes write access. Our IT team has suggested moving it to a different platform and are thinking about testing on a Linux box.

Offline annee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2019, 01:13:24 PM »
The problem persists on the new linux server. Using photomechanic 6 version 3558, on a MAC Mojave, 10.14.16.  When I apply the metadata, an Error: Unable to save IPTC info. window pops up. I'll hit ok to close the window, the preview disappears and I no longer have read write/access to the file.
I've tried the same process using Adobe Bridge, the metadata change occurs, the preview doesn't disappear, and the read/write access doesn't change.

Do you have any suggestions or recommendations that I can test?

Thank you.