Author Topic: Ingest From Camera  (Read 3213 times)

Offline ejatpa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingest From Camera
« on: October 20, 2019, 12:17:01 PM »
PM 6 and Windows 10
Using Lenovo Thinkpad and D3200 attached with a usb cable.

When I connect the camera I can see the file on the camera using windows file manager.  But, when I try to ingest the files from the camera, I can't see the folder or the d3200 at all.  I try selecting Disk and then rescan but the D3200 does not show up.  I then try Folders and Add, I can select the D 3200 folder but it does not populate the ingest sources box in the ingest window.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingest From Camera
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 02:18:50 PM »
PM 6 and Windows 10
Using Lenovo Thinkpad and D3200 attached with a usb cable.

When I connect the camera I can see the file on the camera using windows file manager.  But, when I try to ingest the files from the camera, I can't see the folder or the d3200 at all.  I try selecting Disk and then rescan but the D3200 does not show up.  I then try Folders and Add, I can select the D 3200 folder but it does not populate the ingest sources box in the ingest window.

If it doesn't mount as an actual drive (assigned a drive letter) then PM won't Ingest from it.  Sounds like you may have installed the manufacturer's driver software at some point which is enabling Windows Explorer to see it.

-Kirk

Offline ejatpa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 05:19:09 PM »
Thank you for the reply.  Why can windows see the camera and PM can't?  Is there some way to get PM to see the camera?

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 10:26:38 PM »
Thank you for the reply.  Why can windows see the camera and PM can't?  Is there some way to get PM to see the camera?

No, not unless there is a setting in the camera that will make the card mount as a drive.  Generally we recommend that you use a dedicated card reader.  They're usually inexpensive and are faster than a camera connection.

-Kirk

Offline ejatpa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 05:47:27 PM »
ok, thanks.  I thought that in order to use live ingest, camera had to be hooked up via a cable.

Thanks

EJ

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 06:32:45 PM »
ok, thanks.  I thought that in order to use live ingest, camera had to be hooked up via a cable.

Live Ingest monitors folders for new files.  Generally you have it monitor a folder that you're using cameras to wirelessly transmit images via some protocol (like FTP) into.

-Kirk