Author Topic: {frame} with resaved NEFs  (Read 10027 times)

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
{frame} with resaved NEFs
« on: April 11, 2007, 03:08:41 AM »
I notice that when I try to rename an NX- or NC-edited NEF using {frame}, I just get a blank where {frame} should be.  Do you know if the {frame} information is lost completely when resaving a NEF, or is it just moved somewhere else PM isn't looking?  If the latter, is it possible to make {frame} work with both as-shot and resaved NEFs? 

I'm on PM 4.3.8.

Thanks,

Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: {frame} with resaved NEFs
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 06:36:04 AM »
Mike,

I notice that when I try to rename an NX- or NC-edited NEF using {frame}, I just get a blank where {frame} should be.  Do you know if the {frame} information is lost completely when resaving a NEF, or is it just moved somewhere else PM isn't looking?  If the latter, is it possible to make {frame} work with both as-shot and resaved NEFs? 

I'm on PM 4.3.8.

I'd have to try it on the current version (4.5) and see if it doesn't work there, and if so, we could address it.  Version 4.3.8 is what it is, so if it isn't behaving properly in this instance, there isn't anything that we can do about it since we are not making updates to the 4.3 series anymore.

-Kirk

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 06:42:15 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I wasn't suggesting you continue updating 4.3.8, I just mentioned that in case this is known to have been an issue that has already been adressed in a later version.

Would be interested to see if it is possible to extract the frame information from a resaved NEF, or whether that information simply isn't there.

Thanks,

Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 07:00:29 AM »
Mike,

I wasn't suggesting you continue updating 4.3.8, I just mentioned that in case this is known to have been an issue that has already been adressed in a later version.

Would be interested to see if it is possible to extract the frame information from a resaved NEF, or whether that information simply isn't there.

Could you do me a favor?  Download a trial version of PM 4.5 (install it in a different folder) and try it out and let me know if the issue is resolved.

Rewriting the Navigator on the Windows version has me operating at capacity right now.

Thanks!

-Kirk

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 07:12:13 AM »
Hi Kirk,

See here: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=1096.msg5276#msg5276.

4.3.8 is the only version that works on my system.  And I've tried the 4.5 release.  I'm 99% sure that 4.5 will hang before I ever get to renaming any files, but to make sure will re-install 4.5 any see if I determine anything useful before the inevitable lock-up happens.

Cheers,

Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 07:25:28 AM »
Mike,

See here: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=1096.msg5276#msg5276.

4.3.8 is the only version that works on my system.  And I've tried the 4.5 release.  I'm 99% sure that 4.5 will hang before I ever get to renaming any files, but to make sure will re-install 4.5 any see if I determine anything useful before the inevitable lock-up happens.

OK, well you're definitely one of the people I want to test my Navigator on when it is ready.

-Kirk

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 07:36:19 AM »
OK, well you're definitely one of the people I want to test my Navigator on when it is ready.

Let me know when it's ready and I'll happily play guinea pig ;)

By navigator, I assume you mean the "folder view" panel where you can select system folders?  I did note from another post that you suggested somebody turn off the navigator view to see if it solved their problem.  I tried this to see if would solve my problem -- I think it just closes down the one panel? -- but it didn't help.  Perhaps the navigator is more pervasive than just that?

Mike

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 10:44:08 AM »
I notice that when I try to rename an NX- or NC-edited NEF using {frame}, I just get a blank where {frame} should be.

Mike,

PM determines the frame number from the original filename (i.e. there is no standard Exif tag for this), so if you rename the file you will probably lose it (unless you rename as AAAA{frame4} where AAAA is exactly four characters).  However, if you had ingested or copied your RAW files using PM with their original name, then PM will tuck away the frame number in its image preferences and it should "stick."

There is also the {actuations} variable which holds the number of shutter actuations (not all cameras store this info since it is placed in the maker note).

Hope this helps...

--dennis

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 11:03:41 AM »
Hi Dennis

Great reply.  Thanks for the info.

What exactly do you mean by "PM will tuck away the frame number in its image preferences"?  What are image preferences, and how do they store information like frame no. for individual images? 

Re {actuations} -- I actually posted a feature request on these forums for a variable like that to have as an alternative to {frame}, only to find out that it had already been implemented!  But as I explained above, I'm having to use PM 4.3.8 so I didn't know about it and I don't (yet) have access to it.  But I do plan to start using {actuations} -- or a truncated version of it -- in preference to {frame} once (if?) I am able to upgrade.  That is, of course, if Nikon NEFs (D200) store actuations information where PM can read it.

Thanks,

Mike