Author Topic: Saving a Catalogue  (Read 3650 times)

Offline ketoguy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Saving a Catalogue
« on: October 23, 2019, 10:07:18 AM »
In Beta, is it possible to set an external location for a created catalogue? I have an archive of approx 100,000 images with captions and although the search function worked very very well on my created catalogue it ate all my storage on my laptop. Ideally the catalogue would be placed on the same external drive inside my master folder "image archive"

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Saving a Catalogue
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 10:46:20 AM »
In Beta, is it possible to set an external location for a created catalogue? I have an archive of approx 100,000 images with captions and although the search function worked very very well on my created catalogue it ate all my storage on my laptop. Ideally the catalogue would be placed on the same external drive inside my master folder "image archive"

Yes, you can have your catalog folder be anywhere you like as long as it is a filesystem (not the cloud).
The great majority of the space used by a catalog is for the proxy images.  If all of your images will always be locally available then you can turn off proxy generation and save a lot of time and space.

-Kirk

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
    • Keith & Vlasta Ross-Jones
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 08:23:19 PM »
Where do you turn off proxy generation?

While I am asking for where to find things, could we please have a proper manual so we can help ourselves.  Best option is a manual in Help File format from the Help menu, otherwise a PDF manual.

Thanks  :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 09:28:33 PM »
Where do you turn off proxy generation?

In the Catalog Management window.

While I am asking for where to find things, could we please have a proper manual so we can help ourselves.  Best option is a manual in Help File format from the Help menu, otherwise a PDF manual.

It's hard to write a manual for a product that is in development.  It will come along as the product matures.

-Kirk

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
    • Keith & Vlasta Ross-Jones
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 05:08:58 PM »

It's hard to write a manual for a product that is in development.  It will come along as the product matures.

-Kirk

Hi Kirk,

the reason for this request is that there is still not a manual (that I have found) for PM6.  I appreciate no manual for PM+ but having one when the product ships is important.

Thanks
Keith