Author Topic: typing into Search Field unresponsive  (Read 2150 times)

Offline bazography

• View Profile
typing into Search Field unresponsive
« on: October 24, 2019, 05:25:31 PM »
Build 3783
macOS 10.14.6

When using the search field, I sometimes find that typing is unresponsive even though the search field is highlighted blue and the cursor is blinking (which to me indicates that the field is active and ready to go). But I think I just figured out what’s happening.

Lets say I have clicked in the search field to make it active and ready to type. At any time while using the search field, if the mouse pointer happens to move anywhere over the contact sheet area, even if I don’t click on anything, the search field becomes unresponsive. At this point, if I happen to type the letter “s” for example, instead of an “s” being typed into the search field, the Save As dialog comes up. Obviously PM thinks that I’m now working with images in a contact sheet, which would make sense if I had clicked on an image, but I haven’t clicked on anything so I haven't (intentionally) left the search box yet. In order to continue typing, I need to click back inside the search field. This is not intermittent.

There’s a secondary problem here too because even when I purposely start working on images in a contact sheet, the search field is still highlighted blue and the cursor still blinks. There’s no way to tell if the search field is supposed to be active or not because it looks like it is active all the time.

And on a possibly-related note, Command-A doesn’t work in the search field to select all. If I want to get rid of the last search and try a new one, I can’t just hit Command-A and start typing a new search. I have to delete each letter with the delete key.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: typing into Search Field unresponsive
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 06:14:02 PM »
When the contact sheet takes focus, the search box should lose keyboard focus.  It does not.  It is a known problem.
The search box not obeying edit commands (cut/copy/paste/select all/next word/previous word/etc.) is also a known problem.

-Kirk