Author Topic: Search -function  (Read 3740 times)

Offline wallwaall

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Search -function
« on: October 28, 2019, 04:25:25 PM »
Hi, i have used PM5 for a couple of years and I love the program. Now when i updatet to Catalina and got your ver.6 I´m very disapointed that you have skipped the search funktion. I used it all the time when looking for pictures, by date or caption text and so on . Very powerfull tool. When will you implant it again? Using the finder in OSX is not comparible to PM5 . I´m in the testperiod right now and not in the mood to pay for a program that is not better than the latest version ....

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Search -function
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 04:41:09 PM »
Hi wallwaall,

You do have the option to use the Find feature, which is different than the Spotlight Search but much more reliable and complete. Here is an article about using it. https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48000361385-search-for-photos-using-the-find-feature-

The Spotlight search feature will not return.

-Mick

Mick O
Camera Bits

Online willievass

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 06:22:46 PM »

The Spotlight search feature will not return.

Boo!

Any Mac programming gurus know how to make an automator action return a spotlight image search using PM6?

Offline wallwaall

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 01:13:45 AM »
Hope this is not your final statement! Is it possible to make some kind way around this, I realy miss the search-funtion in PM6 on Catalina  >:(

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 08:12:36 AM »
Have you tried the Find function as described by Mick already?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline toschm

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 06:48:04 AM »
Hi all...

Up to PhotoMechanic 5 it was the case that after the search only the images were shown in which the search term is contained. How does it work in PhotoMechanic6? And please no answer like "try CTRL F" - then all pictures are displayed and you have to choose the pictures you are looking for...

I want the search to only show the images that contain the word I am looking for

Greetings
toschm

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 01:37:47 PM »
Hi toschm,

Try Command-F  (or Ctrl-F on Win) -- but after the Find is complete, press F2 to "View Selected" -- does this give more useful results?

(press F1 to go back to showing all)

Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline timclarke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • LAT Photographic
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 02:01:40 PM »

Hi all

I'm a very heavy and very long term user of PM - I literally couldn't do my job without it and I consider myself a pretty advanced user. I've been waiting for ages to upgrade to PM6 because of some other related workflow issues but I've just made the switch to Catalina and PM6 and this is a pretty major issue for me.

I get exactly what the Find (and Find & Replace) dialogs do, and I use them extensively, but in my workflow I have a big folder that multiple photographers are constantly transmitting live images into. Often I need to grab all of one photographer's images and the spotlight box did it perfectly but using the Find dialog is SOOO clunky for that task - instead of a single click and about three or four letters of typing, it's now a keyboard shortcut, possibly a snapshot selection if I have been using the dialog box for something else, the typing, then Enter, then F2.  I know that doesn't seem like much, but with the volume and speed I work at, it's really painful.

If Spotlight itself isn't an option, how about a separately-configurable mini version of the Find dialog box that looks like and sits in exactly the same place as the old Spotlight box used to be?  cmd-F could still open the find box with its full range of up front options.

Tim

Offline toschm

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 06:26:39 AM »
Hi toschm,

Try Command-F  (or Ctrl-F on Win) -- but after the Find is complete, press F2 to "View Selected" -- does this give more useful results?

(press F1 to go back to showing all)

Hi MickO... it works :-)

Thank you for your help.