Author Topic: How to rename my files - Advanced  (Read 2366 times)

Offline angels15

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How to rename my files - Advanced
« on: October 30, 2019, 06:30:14 PM »
Hi
I am using a trial version of Photo Mechanic 6 on a new iMac using OS 10.14.6 (Mojave)

I am reviewing Photoshop as a potential replacement for MediaPro. I already have a standard method for naming my new image files which uses the Capture Date (where available) plus some text and part of the original file name ie YYMMDD_hhmmXXX1234.
I understand how to use the date components to achieve the first part of this ie
{iptcyear2}{iptcmonth0}{iptcday}_XXX
but I am not clear how I can delete various characters within the original filename when I add {filenamebase}

Please explain the following:
1) how do I simply delete the first four characters in an image filename such as IMG_1234 ?
2) how do I do this at the end of a string - and how can I do a find and replace within the software ?

Can I also do the above within the Save As or Ingest dialogue ?
Thank you for your help

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How to rename my files - Advanced
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 07:02:56 PM »
I am using a trial version of Photo Mechanic 6 on a new iMac using OS 10.14.6 (Mojave)

I am reviewing Photoshop as a potential replacement for MediaPro. I already have a standard method for naming my new image files which uses the Capture Date (where available) plus some text and part of the original file name ie YYMMDD_hhmmXXX1234.
I understand how to use the date components to achieve the first part of this ie
{iptcyear2}{iptcmonth0}{iptcday}_XXX
but I am not clear how I can delete various characters within the original filename when I add {filenamebase}

Please explain the following:
1) how do I simply delete the first four characters in an image filename such as IMG_1234 ?

Instead of deleting, if all you want is the 1234, how about using the {frame4} variable instead?  (It will evaluate to '1234' in your example.)

2) how do I do this at the end of a string

While there exists a fancy variable substring extraction, I think this will suffice:

{iptcyear2}{iptcmonth0}{iptcday}_{frame4}

Variable Substring Extraction:

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Variable_Substring_Extraction

and how can I do a find and replace within the software ?

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Find_and_Replace

Can I also do the above within the Save As or Ingest dialogue ?

Sure.  You can choose a naming in both of those dialogs.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline angels15

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: How to rename my files - Advanced
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 06:40:03 PM »
Thanks for this - and clearly I meant Photo Mechanic not Photoshop above !