Author Topic: My Workflow: PM & Adobe Photoshop Lightroom  (Read 30927 times)

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
Re: My Workflow: PM & Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 02:33:44 AM »
Maybe PM could become the ideal "I-can-do-all-for-you" app after completing the catalog part and receiveing a RAW editor too. ...
No, please don't. A cataloging part, okay, but please not another RAW editor ...
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 07:19:37 AM »
"I-can-do-all-for-you" apps.

I don't have any problem with the idea of it. Just the implementation. Everyone (especially LightRoom, and Aperture) tries to do it, but they fail with the basics what PM does superfast. After this point the rest just doesn't work well.

Maybe PM could become the ideal "I-can-do-all-for-you" app after completing the catalog part and receiveing a RAW editor too. But guys at CameraBits know better than to want to make it. PM is a fine tool as it is. And it works well together with anything possible.

As long as you have the proper tools for editing your files, be they Adobe, Apple, or camera specific, I find the integration of PM into the (RAW) workflow to be almost seamless. Therefore, I see absolutely no need for embedding any raw editing capabilities into PM (apart perhaps for those minimal tools like cropping etc., you may want to use in the field when you don't have your complete software with you).

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 07:21:17 AM »
Maybe PM could become the ideal "I-can-do-all-for-you" app after completing the catalog part and receiveing a RAW editor too. ...
No, please don't. A cataloging part, okay, but please not another RAW editor ...

As per my previous post: I fully agree with this statement (not that I think this was meant by szurkebarat anyway)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 12:20:59 PM »

(not that I think this was meant by szurkebarat anyway)

I am happy I don't have to explain myself.
,-)))

On the other hand I wouldn't mind if PM would have RAW processing. But I don't ask for it because PM's greatest advantage above all is it works fine with everything.

My greatest problem with LR and Aperture is they are meant to be THE ONE AND ONLY application that does everything. And to this they don't perform that well on this field I think. Or maybe I just expect too much after using PM too much?
,-))
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 12:49:14 PM »
My greatest problem with LR and Aperture is they are meant to be THE ONE AND ONLY application that does everything. And to this they don't perform that well on this field I think. Or maybe I just expect too much after using PM too much?
,-))

No, that's the way it should be. And I'm glad, that there are some apps out there, that work that accurate, each one in it's area.
This is my experience, too. And that's why I'm still splitting the whole workflow ...
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 01:17:05 AM »
I prefer to ingest, caption, cull and sort out my NEF images with PM, then send them to NX2 for edit and continue to manage the result versions in PM.
( NX2 have no geométric transformations, sometimes I give a tif to PS when necessary. My PS CS2 is old, too much expansive to upgrade so I try demo PSE, inclination is possible for 16 bits tif, I enjoy , exactly what I need !)

I tried all possiblities of LR.  I don't like its ergonomy, neither "I-can-do-all-for-you", I want "no XMP files in my mac", and LR is not good for PM structured keywords .
But it is excellent for impression, the best I know (I have a canon PRO 9000, not so easier as an Epson).

Now, I am forced to use the database module of LR (iViewMedia Pro is dead !), but I hope Camerabits database, so long…

Skurkebarat says "Maybe PM could become the ideal "I-can-do-all-for-you" app after completing the catalog part and receiveing a RAW editor too. But guys at CameraBits know better than to want to make it. PM is a fine tool as it is. And it works well together with anything possible."

No, no, no ! Freedom please !
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 12:23:05 AM »
I...
Now, I am forced to use the database module of LR (iViewMedia Pro is dead !), but I hope Camerabits database, so long…
No, you are not. Try AtomicView from Antzero (situèe en Geneve, Suisse; le logiciel a une surface francaise)
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 01:34:02 AM »
I tried AtomicView last week. With PM, it is splendid. All my PM structured keywords are fine in AV. So I bougth it.
Thanks to you.
(la toute récente version 1.4.2 est parfaitement compatible avec le léopard des neiges et a résolu les bugs de la 1.4.1
Ouf, ça fait du bien de parler sa langue !))
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline photography geek

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 07:51:27 AM »
I am a wedding photographer taking between 1000 to 2000 RAW images at a wedding. PM is superb at culling them. Nothing beats it for speed. Although most folk are moving to Lightroom I am sticking with PM and DPP. I have been put off by so many stories of how slow Lightroom is.

Perhaps in the future I will change.

I too am a wedding photographer and yet to try it - but if what you say is true then maybe I should have a go. Lightroom is very very slow and it can take me hours to get through just a 1000 shots

I think I may try PM soon

Thanks!