Author Topic: Migrating from Media Pro - dates and countries  (Read 3821 times)

Offline angels15

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Migrating from Media Pro - dates and countries
« on: November 06, 2019, 01:12:25 PM »
Hello. I am considering migrating from Media Pro and wonder if you could advise me on the following:
1) My images are organised in hierarchical folders In Media Pro when I click on a folder or sub-folder which does not itself contain any images (just sub-folders), I can view (and temporarily sort) all the images in the whole folder. Can I do this in PM ?
2) Many of the images I work with are historical. I therefore need to sort them according to date and in MP I do this by assigning an IPTC event date. This means that regardless of the folder they are contained in, I can click on a year or month or individual date and see all the images that have that year/month/or date assigned to them.  Is there a way of doing this in PM ? I am used to switching quickly between views eg by date, by country, and by folder, etc
3) As MPro shows the dates and the countries etc in the same area/column as the folders, it is quick to assess what there is - and move images seamlessly between folders or dates or countries. Can I do anything similar in PM ?
I have many other questions relating to my present workflow but these come to mind first. Happy to send screen grabs if this would be useful.
Hope this is clear

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Migrating from Media Pro - dates and countries
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 02:29:09 PM »
Hello. I am considering migrating from Media Pro and wonder if you could advise me on the following:
1) My images are organised in hierarchical folders In Media Pro when I click on a folder or sub-folder which does not itself contain any images (just sub-folders), I can view (and temporarily sort) all the images in the whole folder. Can I do this in PM ?

I'll assume by "PM" you mean the new Photo Mechanic Plus that includes catalog/database features.

I don't understand how opening a folder that doesn't contain images would show images, regardless of which program you would be using.  Empty is empty.

2) Many of the images I work with are historical. I therefore need to sort them according to date and in MP I do this by assigning an IPTC event date. This means that regardless of the folder they are contained in, I can click on a year or month or individual date and see all the images that have that year/month/or date assigned to them.  Is there a way of doing this in PM ? I am used to switching quickly between views eg by date, by country, and by folder, etc

Yes, the Browse tree allows clicking on a year/month/day and viewing the images shot on that year/month/day (date).
You can also use the Filter system for that.

3) As MPro shows the dates and the countries etc in the same area/column as the folders, it is quick to assess what there is - and move images seamlessly between folders or dates or countries. Can I do anything similar in PM ?

No.  I take it that moving an image from one Country to another Country in the list of countries causes the metadata for the image to change?

-Kirk

Offline angels15

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 07:09:21 PM »
Hello Kirk
I have only just downloaded the Plus version of PM as I wasn't yet familiar with PM6. I am still learning but have decided to take a look at PMPlus. I have downloaded it and see that there is a folder called 'Extras' where should I put this folder ? In Applications ?
Once I have done this, I will create a PMPlus catalogue, and I can experiment with the metadata.
In answer to your question above: Countries - yes the metadata changes.
Regarding dates, it is possible to drag images on to a particular date. In the case of historical images, this creates an event date which then takes precedence over the 'Capture Date'. As my images are named according to date taken, this date will be taken from the Event Date so that when I batch rename those images, it will rename the images to that imposed date. It may be easier to demonstrate this with photos. Is that possible here ?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 09:14:45 AM »
I have only just downloaded the Plus version of PM as I wasn't yet familiar with PM6. I am still learning but have decided to take a look at PMPlus. I have downloaded it and see that there is a folder called 'Extras' where should I put this folder ? In Applications ?

There are optional components with instructions inside the Extras folder.  You can ignore it completely if you want, or you can follow the instructions to install each component.

Once I have done this, I will create a PMPlus catalogue, and I can experiment with the metadata.
In answer to your question above: Countries - yes the metadata changes.
Regarding dates, it is possible to drag images on to a particular date. In the case of historical images, this creates an event date which then takes precedence over the 'Capture Date'. As my images are named according to date taken, this date will be taken from the Event Date so that when I batch rename those images, it will rename the images to that imposed date. It may be easier to demonstrate this with photos. Is that possible here ?

No, we do not do drag and drop for metadata changes.  If you want to change the Capture Date of a photo or a group of photos, the Adjust Capture Dates and Times feature on the Tools menu allows you to change dates and then the Catalog should update accordingly.

-Kirk