Author Topic: HEIC support  (Read 12671 times)

Offline photogeek423@gmail.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
HEIC support
« on: November 06, 2019, 02:50:36 PM »
I teach photography to an under-serviced inner city junior high school. It was easy to manage the kids photos when I could use Photo Mechanic. I can't afford to go buy new software and i've been really struggling since more and more of the kids are using the HEIC format on their phones. If the next major upgrade doesn't have support i might to have to let my decade long relationship with Camera Bits go. What a tragedy!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: HEIC support
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 05:27:58 PM »
I teach photography to an under-serviced inner city junior high school. It was easy to manage the kids photos when I could use Photo Mechanic. I can't afford to go buy new software and i've been really struggling since more and more of the kids are using the HEIC format on their phones. If the next major upgrade doesn't have support i might to have to let my decade long relationship with Camera Bits go. What a tragedy!

The next major update to Photo Mechanic will be Photo Mechanic 7.  We will add HEIC support in Photo Mechanic 6, but it will require macOS 10.13+ or Windows 10.  I don't have a timeline for you though but we are looking into it.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: HEIC support
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 05:20:02 PM »
We managed to find a good open source library with a license we can work with and have added HEIC/HEIF support in the Photo Mechanic Plus beta.  If you have a license for PM6, you can try the beta.  Get it here: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=12960.0

It is preliminary support (read-only) and works on all platforms that we support (macOS 10.10+ and Windows 7x64-Windows 10) without needing to download and install anything else.

If the testing goes well then HEIC/HEIF support will be in the next build of Photo Mechanic 6.

-Kirk