Author Topic: PM6 - not enjoying it  (Read 4146 times)

Offline VGER

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM6 - not enjoying it
« on: November 10, 2019, 07:20:31 AM »
Hello,

I recently upgraded from PM v5 to v6. It has not been smooth sailing since. Some issues:

- On one occasion, after ingest the contact sheet window seemed frozen. It was not possible to select another image than what already was selected (_during_ ingest, it had still been possible.) Scrolling the window was also not possible. The menus still worked, and after I had closed and reopened the contact sheet (no restart), selection once again was possible.

- Frequently, but not always, Ctrl-Click to zoom in the preview window doesn't work the first time. Trying it again mostly works, sometimes even a third time is necessary.

Using the (still installed from before the upgrade) PM v5 both issues do not occur.

Especially because of the zoom issue I had to revert back to v5. Not a happy camper here! :-(

I knew that there were no new features after the upgrade. I had not expected things that worked before actually getting worse. Additionally:

- What is meant by "Better Fullscreen" in the "what's new in PM6"? The preview window still can't be set to full screen, the toolbar still can't be hidden, and if anything the icons in the toolbar have gotten worse (now monochromatic instead of colored as before.)

- Apparently it's still not possible to upload a slideshow directly. Instead, you still have to "export" into a local directory, then manually upload everything using an external tool.

(All reports for the Windows version.)

Regards
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 08:28:11 AM by VGER »

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM6 - not enjoying it
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 08:58:05 PM »
I recently upgraded from PM v5 to v6. It has not been smooth sailing since. Some issues:

- On one occasion, after ingest the contact sheet window seemed frozen. It was not possible to select another image than what already was selected (_during_ ingest, it had still been possible.) Scrolling the window was also not possible. The menus still worked, and after I had closed and reopened the contact sheet (no restart), selection once again was possible.

Which build of Photo Mechanic 6 are you running?

- Frequently, but not always, Ctrl-Click to zoom in the preview window doesn't work the first time. Trying it again mostly works, sometimes even a third time is necessary.

What does it do instead?

- What is meant by "Better Fullscreen" in the "what's new in PM6"? The preview window still can't be set to full screen, the toolbar still can't be hidden, and if anything the icons in the toolbar have gotten worse (now monochromatic instead of colored as before.)

When we changed the icons from PM4.6 to PM5 some people disliked them.  When we changed them from PM5 to PM6 based off of feedback of those that didn't like the PM5 icons, most people liked them.  I guess we can't please everyone there.

Better Fullscreen refers to the preview window becoming borderless.  It shows as much as possible without affecting usability.

-Kirk

Offline VGER

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 02:01:57 AM »
I'm running v6.0 build 3889.

What does it do instead?
Nothing at all. The click is simply ignored. At first I thought it was a problem with my mouse, but all "normal" clicks (without Ctrl) are there, and everything is fine in PM v5.

edit: Could it have something to do with window activation? If the contact sheet is the active window, I should be able to left-click a control element (e.g. a checkbox) in the preview window to modify it, that is, the preview window should automatically become the active window and the change should be executed. Could it be that this mechanism doesn't work for "modified" clicks, e.g. for Ctrl-click? Perhaps this is a result of the new window handling compared to v5?

When we changed the icons from PM4.6 to PM5 some people disliked them.  When we changed them from PM5 to PM6 based off of feedback of those that didn't like the PM5 icons, most people liked them.  I guess we can't please everyone there.
Fair enough.

Better Fullscreen refers to the preview window becoming borderless.  It shows as much as possible without affecting usability.
When I read "full screen" in the v6 announcement, I expected a mode to only see the picture. No control elements, no toolbar, and no window borders or controls - the same way Lightroom's second screen works. At the moment I can't see anything different vs. v5 here - the second screen looks as it always has (if you disregard the modified toolbar.)

Regards

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 08:50:17 AM »
I'm running v6.0 build 3889.

What does it do instead?
Nothing at all. The click is simply ignored. At first I thought it was a problem with my mouse, but all "normal" clicks (without Ctrl) are there, and everything is fine in PM v5.

edit: Could it have something to do with window activation? If the contact sheet is the active window, I should be able to left-click a control element (e.g. a checkbox) in the preview window to modify it, that is, the preview window should automatically become the active window and the change should be executed. Could it be that this mechanism doesn't work for "modified" clicks, e.g. for Ctrl-click? Perhaps this is a result of the new window handling compared to v5?

Possibly click-through isn't working.  But what happens for you when the Preview window is the active window and you Control-click on a preview?  Does it still not work reliably?

-Kirk

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 10:48:36 AM »
When I read "full screen" in the v6 announcement, I expected a mode to only see the picture. No control elements, no toolbar, and no window borders or controls - the same way Lightroom's second screen works. At the moment I can't see anything different vs. v5 here - the second screen looks as it always has (if you disregard the modified toolbar.)

How are you entering full screen mode?  You need to press F11 to enter/exit full screen mode.  The toolbar does disappear.  All that remains is the title bar and the views.  We don't hide the title bar because there would be no way to see vital image information (filename, size, zoom percentage, etc.)

PM5 does not offer this mode at all.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline VGER

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM6 - enjoying it a whole lot more now!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 09:40:33 AM »
How are you entering full screen mode?  You need to press F11 to enter/exit full screen mode.
Yeeha! That's exactly what I was wishing for. I didn't know about the F11 hotkey; thanks for the hint. That's "my feature" for v6 right there!

All that remains is the title bar and the views.  We don't hide the title bar because there would be no way to see vital image information (filename, size, zoom percentage, etc.)
That doesn't seem to be the case here: If I click "full screen" on the toolbar, the control elements on the right hand side vanish. If I then press F11, the preview goes full screen, and all that remains is the star rating on the bottom left and color/selected on the bottom right overlayed over the image.

If I don't click "full screen" before F11, the control elements remain visible. But there is still no title bar any more (not that I'm complaining, I can see which image is selected in the contact sheet window just fine. For me this is great right the way it is.)

Possibly click-through isn't working.  But what happens for you when the Preview window is the active window and you Control-click on a preview?  Does it still not work reliably?
I think I can confirm the theory:

In F11-mode:
- use mouse to select image in contact sheet
- CTRL-click in preview window
-> first click: nothing
-> second click: zoom

- use arrow keys left-right to go to other image
-> first click: zoom

- use mouse to activate contact sheet (click in main window title bar)
-> first click: nothing
-> second click: zoom

- use mouse to activate preview window (click on preview pane or control element)
-> first click: zoom

... sounds pretty solid.

Regards

Offline VGER

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 03:33:41 AM »
Hello,

were you able to work on this issue? Did I miss an update here (currently still on build 4155)?

Regards

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 09:00:33 AM »
were you able to work on this issue? Did I miss an update here (currently still on build 4155)?

No.  You have the latest build of PM6.

-Kirk

Offline VGER

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 09:02:51 AM »
Do you have an estimate as to when this might be solved?

Or at least when it might be worked on?

Regards

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 09:19:24 AM »
Do you have an estimate as to when this might be solved?

No, not at this time.

Or at least when it might be worked on?

No, but I will discuss this issue with the rest of the team this next week.

-Kirk