Author Topic: Issue: DJI drone altitude and DJI serial no.  (Read 2785 times)

Offline Jahoa12

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Issue: DJI drone altitude and DJI serial no.
« on: November 12, 2019, 06:56:31 AM »
Hi

There seems to be a problem with the display of data from DJI drones in Photo Mechanic 6, build 3889 (6e9c549)

In Preview mode, I have set the Info Text to show: Altitude: {altitude} and Serial #: {snum}

For example, I have a drone image where the flight altitude was 20.7 meters, but PM 6 shows 141.1 meters.

The PM also does not show the correct DJI serial number printed in the battery compartment of the drone.

Are there any settings I need to make so that DJI data is displayed correctly or is there a problem in PM 6 itself?

Best Regards

Jan Høst-Aaris
Denmark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Issue: DJI drone altitude and DJI serial no.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 09:30:29 AM »
Jan,

There seems to be a problem with the display of data from DJI drones in Photo Mechanic 6, build 3889 (6e9c549)

In Preview mode, I have set the Info Text to show: Altitude: {altitude} and Serial #: {snum}

For example, I have a drone image where the flight altitude was 20.7 meters, but PM 6 shows 141.1 meters.

The PM also does not show the correct DJI serial number printed in the battery compartment of the drone.

Are there any settings I need to make so that DJI data is displayed correctly or is there a problem in PM 6 itself?

Can you share a sample image, please?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Jahoa12

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 11:59:39 PM »
Hi

I've attached a jpg copy of the original DNG file and a screenprint showing the correct altitude.

Best Regards
Jan Høst-Aaris

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 10:26:15 AM »
Jan,

Photo Mechanic does not (yet) read the DJI XMP tags for GPS.  PM is currently only reading the standard Exif GPS information.

This shows altitude of 141.1 (meters).

Your display is showing DJI's "relative" altitude (to the surface/launch point).

The serial number is what DJI is writing into the standard serial number field.  It is not uncommon for manufacturers to write an "obfuscated" serial number that doesn't match the actual serial number on the device.  Sony for example has done this in the past for privacy reasons.

HTH.

--dennis

Offline jgrove

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 07:03:22 AM »
In other image readers the altitude is reported as 141.1m so maybe the issue is with the way DJI place the data into the image?