Author Topic: re-indexing speed/efficiency  (Read 2282 times)

Offline jmc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
re-indexing speed/efficiency
« on: November 22, 2019, 11:36:01 AM »
edited to add there's more to the screenshot than is visible

(please view these comments through the lens of me not knowing anything about computers or apps, purely trying to address my own workflow and bottlenecks, coming from aperture and needing a new computer)

re-indexing to the latest PM+ and it was taking a long time (more than an hour) and not showing very much action on iStat Menu menu bar graph so i opened this up to see what was happening.  this is the latest MBP 16 with the top processor/GPU/VRAM.  Definitely understand that it's beta, just trying to figure out which of my bottlenecks would still be there if i went back to an older laptop.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: re-indexing speed/efficiency
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 02:05:28 PM »
edited to add there's more to the screenshot than is visible

(please view these comments through the lens of me not knowing anything about computers or apps, purely trying to address my own workflow and bottlenecks, coming from aperture and needing a new computer)

re-indexing to the latest PM+ and it was taking a long time (more than an hour) and not showing very much action on iStat Menu menu bar graph so i opened this up to see what was happening.  this is the latest MBP 16 with the top processor/GPU/VRAM.  Definitely understand that it's beta, just trying to figure out which of my bottlenecks would still be there if i went back to an older laptop.

The bottleneck for re-indxing is disk speed.  On a fast SSD, re-indexing is much faster than on a HDD.

-Kirk